The Holy Spirit part 2-King Saul's Experience

Prayer Prompt: Lord, help me claim my inheritance with confidence in Your will for my life

Read for Context: 1 Samuel 10

Introduction: Donkeys.  All of this happened because of donkeys.  Well really all of this happened because of God and He used lost donkeys to connect Saul with His prophet Samuel to anoint him king.  It always baffles me, how God does work everything together for His good purpose (Rom 8:28). Samuel was a judge (as in the days of Sampson as we studied last time) and as he grew older appointed his sons to take over.  They didn’t follow the Lord like Samuel had done, so Israel asked God for a king.  This story is about how God took a reluctant heart and changed it.  Our God has repeated this story in many lives; it’s the business of salvation.  I hope that the eyes of your heart are opened to see when God brings a donkey your way. 

Study: 1 Samuel 10: 1-10,16, 20-22, 26
·         List all the signs that Samuel told Saul would take place. 
·         Compare verse 6 to verses 9 and 10.  Did all the things Samuel foretold take place?
·         What did Saul do after being anointed?  Find two things that show his fear.
·         What was the inheritance the Lord wanted to give Saul?  Look up Deuteronomy 32:9 and Psalm 78:71 to find the answer. 

What Does it Mean to Me?
·         God has selected Saul to receive his inheritance.  What did you discover about what that was?  Now read Ephesians 1:11-14.  Is your inheritance the same as Saul’s?  How are you certain you have received it?
·         In this narrative, God shows Saul’s fear in becoming king.  Is there anything God has given you that you’re fearful to take hold of?  How are you hiding from God?
·         In verse 26 God touches the hearts of valiant men, to follow Saul.  Gesenius’s Lexicon describes this Hebrew phrase to literally mean “move the mind of any one.” Who has God moved to support you in your journey of faith?

Live it Out:
·         Saul’s inheritance was to gain a group of people, the Israelites.  Who has God put under your care?  Make a list of these people and write the ways they bless your life.  See the goodness of God in enriching your life with the people He created for you to care for.  If He has touched you today, tell some people on your list why they are special to you. 

Meditation: Write down a verse or truth God has shown you today through this study.  Put it somewhere you will see it often and remember His word for you today. 










Comments

MJ said…
Each time I sit down to do one of these studies, I really want to do the current one, but something brings me back to go in order and do all of them - not to skip over some. I know this would be ok - I just do not think I would go back and do the ones I skipped. I keep thinking I will just do two today to help catch me up. Then after doing one - I know that it is more than enough for me to focus on till the next time. They are really helping me to focus and think about how God wants me to take time to be with him.
Rayna said…
Listen to that voice inside. Time in the Word isn't a task, it's relationship-building. For the same reason you wouldn't schedule two dates a day with your spouse to catch up on quality time, you can't with God either. The studies will be there when you get to them. I originally started with 12 friends who were interested so I was emailing. They wanted the blog early so I just posted what we had done already as a group. Even my original group is all in different places. I know for me when I rush I don't retain and grow. The questions I'm posing take a lot of time to process, which is why I only want to do one/two studies a week. The goal is to grow. We have such busy lives, it's good to let things settle sometimes. I am very encouraged by your comments and so glad your heart is in the right place! Very glad God has brought you into my life and into my son's life!

Popular Posts