Devotional: Balance

This should be your ambition: to live a quiet life
-1 Thess 4:11

I thought I’d mix things up and share something I’ve been learning a lot about lately: balance.  This verse above has been in my head quite a lot as I’ve been feeling different demands start to pull on me.  All of us have so many different responsibilities and interests that take our time; from family life and work, to hobbies and social events.  It seems like the calendar in my house is often running the show. 
In this chapter Paul is writing about how Christians should live.  The word ambition means to be fond of honor, strive to bring something to pass and make a certain state your aim.  Then a few words later Paul then describes the tone of our day-to-day life as quiet.  This doesn’t mean you should be shy or a doormat, but to rest, cease from labor, not to be running around, to say nothing and hold one’s peace (this is my constant need!). 
A friend once shared that you may be doing good things, but God has best things in mind for you.  As my stress and weariness began to rise I realized instead of me taking a look at what I wanted, I instead need to go to the source of all wisdom.  Here are some things I did to help me determine how God desires me to spend my time.  If you’ve been feeling this same unease perhaps taking time to do these the following will help add some joy back into your life as well.
1.       Make a list of all the roles you hold in your life (ex: mother, wife, friend)
2.      Make a list of all the activities you regularly participate in 
3.      Color code things that go together in each column.  For example if you do Bible Study with your husband, you might consider that an activity that involves your role as wife.  I did this with colored pencils.  You could also make tallies or draw lines.  Just try to find what you spend most of your time doing.
4.      Use this key to mark your list=a heart for things you love, an S for things you feel you should do, and G with the things you think God would find most important. 
5.      Next I reflected on what I had written down.  I really like to listen to worship music when I spend time processing so I have provided a link to a song that goes well with this topic if you’d like to try that as well .  The track is Restless by Audrey Assad.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0B2ybZpDeM
6.      While you are reflecting, try journaling, praying through, and thinking about the following questions:
·         What fears/personal struggles influence the choices I make with my time?
·         What things if any should I do more?  What things should I be doing less?
·         Do God’s priorities for my life line up with how I currently spend my time?  How do I know what His priorities are?
·         How has God made me unique to serve?  Am I finding joy in this?
·         Who can help me find more balance?  Who I can I talk to that knows me well enough to be honest or is living the way I would like to?
7.       Consider making changes from what you’ve discovered.  Look up verses that will help you determine what that is.  Start with a word study (use a concordance for this) and see what consistent message arises. 
After a few days of getting through these hard questions and speaking to those in my life I trust to give me advice, I was in a much better place.  I added a few things to my list, but took away some too that weren’t feeding my soul.  One of the biggest things I discovered was that I allowed no time in my schedule just to be still.  I also shared this desire to understand and hear with a group of friends who prayed for me.  I hope that this helps you to see what the best God has in mind for you is!


Comments

Anonymous said…
When you did step 7 what words were you looking for in the concordance - balance?
Anonymous said…
Is there a concordance that you use regularly that you would recommend?
Rayna said…
Great question. When I was reviewing what I outlined and praying through it, I sensed that I needed to learn more about rest. So I did a word study on that word. The word that God gives you will definately be what you need to hear and may be different.

There is a concordance in the back of my bible; if you have a study bible there is usually on in there. It's a good place to start if you've never used one before. Here is an on-line site that has a word search function http://www.biblegateway.com/. You can search in the transaltion you use. Another thing you can do is try Vine's dictionary. It defines New Testement words and gives verses where you can find the word used in Scripture. http://www2.mf.no/bibel/vines.html
Sarah Jones said…
I love the Audrey Assad song you suggested! Beautiful!
Rayna said…
Her whole album is great! Highly recommended. She writes music with Chris Tomlin.

Popular Posts