John part 19-He Prays for You


Key Verse: “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.

(John 17:20-21 ESV)

 

This is one of my favorite prayers in the Bible, because I get to read what Jesus prays for me!  As you read this chapter, consider the following questions:

 

·        How does this prayer show He is God?

·        What does He pray for the disciples?  Other believers?  Do you think that is the same thing?

·        Unity is a big theme in this prayer as Jesus constantly mentions His unity with the Father.  What does He teach about unity through His prayer?

·        Reread verse 3.  What is eternal life?  It may be different than you expect?  Does that mean you live eternally now?

·        How many times in this prayer does Jesus say that the Father has given us His word?  If you find  it a lot it is a key concept and thus important.  What happens in our lives as a result of receiving this word?

·        Read verse 14-16.  What point of view does Jesus want us to have?  Read Ephesians 2:18-22 and Hebrews 11:13-18 for more. 

·        Journal prompt: How do your prayers compare to how Christ prays?  We’ve heard many times to pray in His name.  How does this prayer model that instruction?

Comments

Popular Posts