Devotional: Cultivating a Quiet Heart


God I’m not trying to rule the roost

I don’t want to be king of the mountain.

I haven’t meddled where I have no business

Or fantasized grandiose plans.

I’ve kept my feet on the ground,

I’ve cultivated a quiet heart.

Like a baby content in its mother’s arms,

My soul is a baby content.

Wait, Israel, for God.  Wait with hope.

Hope now; hope always!

Psalm 131

 

It’s probably no accident that God gave me this Psalm today.  Like many of you, I’m anticipating a busy and full week next week.  One of the tasks on my to-do list today is to make a list!  That’s pretty pathetic…

 

I’ve been longing for some quiet time to fill myself up with peace to last me through my future of shopping, cleaning, and cooking, with a few birthday parties thrown in the next few days. 

 

I set aside time with the Lord but sometimes my heart isn’t fully quiet.  I was fascinated today by the idea of cultivating quietness.  Timely, also, that my pastor is speaking on technology and the fast pace to life it brings.  On our date night last night, my husband and I talked about ways we let those things distract us from emotional-intimacy and small things we can do to remain connected in our marriage and parenting.  We arrived at the process of weeding out the unnecessary and coming back to a place of intentionality in life.

 

When meditating on this Psalm I was first ashamed, as I am the person who makes big plans and wants to rule my world so often.  So this part can become a prayer…let me keep my feet on the ground.  Loving the Mumford & Sons song (Below My Feet) about keeping grounded and open to opportunities, seeking the help we need from above to keep perspective. 

 

But to cultivate true quietness, it is not enough to set aside time with God.  We must put everything aside, the inner dialog as well as the outer distractions.  As I meditated, I got a picture of what I did last Saturday in cleaning out my summer flower beds.  Cultivating involves cleaning out dead things, trimming plants with deep roots back.  I love what Eugene Peterson says about pruning. “It gets rid of that which looks good to those who don’t know any better, and reduces the distance between our hearts and their roots in God.” The dead and brown will be burned, much like the things we build on our lives that God will refine or destroy (1 Cor 3:12-14). 

 

Cultivating also involves protecting the things that are tender and growing, and removing things from around things that will come after the frozen ground of winter. 

 

Notice the fruit of cultivating quietness, contentment.  This season we will all be seeking contentment.  Many will chase after the lies of materialism, thinking gifts will bring satisfaction.  Those with wisdom will realize that contentment is found in true quiet, the inner cleanness of putting aside all the worldly pursuits; the trust that comes from a soul whose God is not their insatiable desires but the Lord. 

 

The song ends with hope—waiting, hoping now and always.  For a quiet heart that is producing contentment is surrounded by hope.  And the hope placed in every searching heart was satisfied in a dirty cow trough in Bethlehem.  What was taken from glory and placed in an accessable place: the King.

 

Don’t lose sight of what is real and important.   Take the time to be truly still, to abide connected to the life-giving force of Jesus, the abundance of His love, and the peace of His spirit.  He came humbly but He was still a King.

 

So ask yourself if you are quiet, content, and hopeful.  If not, may the message of this Psalm be yours overflowing as you ask God to give you these gifts, the true gifts this holiday season.

--Rayna

 

Comments

The Rus Fam said…
I am content and hopeful...YES!!! But, quiet. Rarely ever. I continue to struggle with being quiet. When I take time with God I often find my mind wandering to what I still have left to do in the day. Sigh. :( I HAVE gotten better about asking Him to show me what to do NOW and NEXT which seems to be helping me find more time to spend with Him...but now to learn to be truly still and quiet in his presence during that time. I know that He's not finished with me yet...I still have so much learning and growing to do. And that part is exciting!
Rayna said…
I agree that is so tough. I try to meditate to clear my mind of earthly things. It helps my busy overly responsible mind to let God be God! Thanks for reading Missy!

Popular Posts