John part 15-Love for God & Man


Key Verses:

 

·         “So when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments and reclined at the table again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you?  You call me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am.  If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.  For I gave you an example that you also should do I as I did to you.” John 13:12-15

 

·         “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.  By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”  John 13:34-35

 

God calls us to love.  But He didn’t just command love; he demonstrated it.  He wept when he saw sorrow in others.  He washed the feet of his disciples and the feet of his enemy.  And He carried out the ultimate sacrifice – exchanging His life for ours.  In turn, He asks us to love one another.  This week ask God to show you true love and then emulate Him.

 

Read John 13.

 

·         What is this chapter about?

·         Who are the major characters in this chapter?  Be sure to note “the disciple whom Jesus loved.” What are their roles? 

·         What does it mean that Jesus washed everyone’s feet?  What does that mean for us?

·         Why did Jesus give “a new command” to the disciples?  What is that command? 

 

Journal Prompt:  Would you wash a loved one’s feet?  A stranger’s feet? An enemy’s?  What would you do if someone offered to wash your feet?

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts