The Ministry of Reconciliation part 3-What is Reconciliation?


Prepare Your Heart: Read Matthew 18:21-35, then talk to God about your quickness to forgive others in light of the debt you have been forgiven. 
When I first read 2 Corinthians chapter 5, this one word drew me into this study: reconciliation.  The Holy Spirit speaks to us personally through Scripture when a word or verse or chapter jumps off the page.  It’s a quiet moment, but you sense a connection and urgency within you that is nothing short of divine.  Pay attention, that quiet voice whispers to the woman God is changing you to be.  The insight grabs and begins the transformation. The call is to stop, study and think on what God wants to say to you in that heart-tug. 
In my everyday life, this word has two meanings for me.  One is dealing with money.  I use money software to balance my checkbook.  If I hit control-R I reconcile my account.  I’m matching up what I’ve spent with what I have.  I’m validating if I owe anything.  The other place the word is used in my life is in relationships.  I commonly think of reconciliation as two people, estranged, separated by a deep issue who find common ground.  A relationship marked by strike and contention is swallowed up by repentance, forgiveness, and grace. 
In our need to be reconciled to God both elements exist.  We owe a debt we can never pay.  We need forgiveness in a relationship we cannot mend.  Our sin is the problem.  It separates us from God.  He is holy, different from us.  His character is fully loving and fully just.  He reconciles those two seemingly opposing traits at the cross by spending His wrath on our sin through Christ satisfying His justice because of His desire to be in relationship with us (Hebrews 12:2).  If you’ve never considered your sin nature and your need for a Savior, I would suggest listening to this sermon by John McArthur:  http://www.gty.org/Resources/Sermons/47-38_The-Ministry-of-Reconciliation.  Many of the scripture references I used in writing this study came from notes I took on his message. 
Today we are going to focus on 3 verses from 2 Corinthians chapter 5: 18, 19, 21.  Read one verse at a time, making sure you can answer the questions.  Then read each cross reference to add to your understanding.  Take notes on your answers and things you learn in light of the guiding questions for each verse. 
1.        Verse 18
·         What are “all these things?”  (see v.17)
·         Who initiates new life, us or God?
·         How were we reconciled?
·         What did He give us after fixing our relationship with Him?
·         Romans 5:10-11, Colossians 1:19,20
2.       Verse 19
·         Where was God when Christ reconciled the world?
·         Who was the world reconciled to?
·         What was not counted against us?
·         1 John 2:2, Romans 8:32-33, Psalm 32:2, Romans 4:5-8
3.       Verse 21
·         Who was made sin?
·         On whose behalf was the sin-exchange done for?
·         What do we become?
·         1 Corinthians 1:26-31, 1 Peter 2:24, Hebrews 4:15, Galatians 3:14, Romans 8:1-4
The One Thing:  Did you catch the gave in verse 18?  He gave us the ministry of reconciliation.  It is a gift. Gifts are intended for our pleasure and our delight.  Our Father gives us good and perfect gifts (James 1:17). This ministry is not intended to be a burden.  Telling others about the opportunity of a relationship with God should be a joy for us.  But to be real sometimes for me it’s not.  I let fear and doubt speak louder than His whisper of peace for all men.  What will they think?  Do I have all the answers?  Journal about an experience of telling someone about your relationship with God or the gospel. Next time we will ponder more deeply our role as His ambassadors (v. 20). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study Introduction: Developing a Ministry of Reconciliation

Devotional: Balance

Christmas: The Promises of God