Devotional: Rend your Heart

Rend your heart and not your garments.  Return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love. 

Joel 2:12-13

I hate religion.  So did Jesus.  It seems pretty clear if you read Matthew 23:23-38.  He says of the religious leaders of the day in verse 23 of this chapter, Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence.  So how clean is the outside of your cup?  My kids are old enough now to help with the dishes—old enough for helping means it usually takes more work for me if I let them.  They often put dishes away without looking at the inside, where sometimes food likes to leach on.  Dried on food is the worst!  I think that’s why on the eighth day God created Pampered Chef scrapers.  Kids walk around with different eyes and they don’t see.

How often do we as God’s children look at the outside and think that is all that’s going on? One of my friends who shares her walk with God through a blog described this same phenomenon:  http://unveiledmasquerade.blogspot.com/2011/06/crazy-hypocrite.html?spref=fb .  Then my kids and I read in Matthew tonight about how those who show their self-righteousness before others have received their full reward (Matt 6:16). 

In my experience when God is speaking to me he tells me many times in different ways.  First the verse from Joel he showed me over coffee this morning, then my friend’s blog post, then my devotional time with my kids.  I don’t like what this verse is saying to me.  I’ve been tearing my clothes and not ripping at the pride in my heart.  Has my faith been an outward show of rule following and Christian-like behavior and not an authentic movement of the Spirit’s change in my life?

I think I would have made a good Pharisee.  I like rules and checklists.  I get a foolish thrill by the accomplishments I set for myself and when I achieve them.  That’s what religion is, being god in your own life and deciding what you can do to be good. 

Today in my class my students dissected seedpods of the Brassica plants we’ve been growing to observe the lifecycle of a plant.  We talked about finding life in dead things, and how a plant has to die before the things hidden inside can spread and find fertile ground.  The joy in their faces as they tore apart the withered leaves was like finding a treasure.   A seed is just a case full of a future promise of beauty.  Jesus also says we need to come like children (Matthew 18:3) before we enter the kingdom, and for me today that means seeing with a child’s eyes. 

I desire to have clear sight, to spot the future joy that awaits relationship and communion with my Savior.  Little faith-seeds blooming and stretching toward the Son (Sun) in the process of sanctification and not the pursuit of perfection.  As verse 23 above says, by choosing to follow rules I have robbed myself and indulged the small-god inside who desires the impossible way of cultural Christianity.   To serve myself is to serve a lie.  It is empty and deceitful. 



So let me see the dirt in my neighbor and the dirt in myself and still love.  Let me turn to vulnerability and not pride as my strength.  Let me rely on a small yet real moment with God instead of formalities and slay my heart raw before Him, like his body was torn apart for me. 

The perfect song to express the things I can’t quite say is Sara Groves Like A Lake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOzUG4dfzsQ . As you listen reflect on your religion and your relationship with Him, read the scriptures I sited above, and journal/pray about God’s thoughts on that…may we find the soft reckoning of returning to the One full of love, compassion, and grace never ending. 

Comments

MJ said…
Thank you for sharing! As always just what my insides needed to hear today! Loved the song as well!
Rayna said…
Thanks for commenting. It is a huge encouragement for me that my work is making an impact out there. Check out her other music; Fireflies and Songs is my favorite album of hers. I got to meet her once and I think she is the real deal!
Elissa said…
This devotion reminds me of the song What do I know of Holy by Addison Road. That song is such a powerful and humbling reminder of the greatness of God. I love the whole song, but one of the parts in the song I feel like I really relate to is “I tried to hear from Heaven, but I talked the whole time. I think I made You too small.” Sometimes the power of God just doesn’t make sense to me, and I have on several occasions found myself making him smaller in my eyes to attempt to make sense of it all. And though I still choose to follow him in those times, it’s sad because I realize I miss out on the abundance of what God has to offer as a result. It becomes more of the actions because I know I should, instead of the passion and love I have for all He is and the pure desire of not being able to resist living for Him.
Thanks so much for the reminder Rayna! I know I need the dust blown off this constant struggle of mine.
Rayna said…
Small by JJ Heller is a great song too with that same idea that we make God too small all the time. It is in our nature as we can't seem to understand something fully that is so much different that us. I love your last two sentences, how He is so great that we can't resist following Him! You captured it perfectly!

Popular posts from this blog

Study Introduction: Developing a Ministry of Reconciliation

Devotional: Balance

Christmas: The Promises of God