John-Leaving and Overcoming



 

Orient John 16:16-33

In these two paragraphs of John chapter 16, we read Jesus’s last teaching before beginning His high priestly prayer.  His message focuses on His leaving and victory on the cross.  This teaching is connected to the previous part of the chapter[1] as it is to their advantage if He goes away.  As we typically see in John, at first the disciples don’t understand Him fully and then receive spiritual insight. 

 

Introduction

I’m uncomfortable with long goodbyes-- especially when I know the person I’m parting from is someone I won’t see for a long time. It’s hard to put into words the multitude of emotions one experiences: joy from your time spent together, regret that the time has ended, and the longing to see them again.  My husband and I have been blessed with many dear friends and many of them live hours away.  Summer is typically our time to reconnect and it’s hard when we know we won’t see them for another year.  I’m a fan of all things Middle Earth[2] and have started watching the new Rings of Power series on Amazon.  There is much debate among Tolkien fans on the show’s quality and I won’t weigh in here.  One scene I’ve watched recently includes a well-spoken farewell.  In this scene, Elrond is saying goodbye to Durin, whom he expects to not see again.  “We do not say goodbye, we say (insert elvish word that sounds like miral here), it means more than farewell, it means go towards goodness.”  Jesus says this same thing in His last teaching to the disciples.  He is leaving but is sending them toward goodness as He knows their sorrow will turn to joy as He has overcome the world.  

 

Opening Prayer

God, You turn weeping and lament into rejoicing.  You turn sorrow and anguish into joy.  One day I will ask nothing of You because I will be with You.  I ask for the fullness of joy today.  Speak plainly to me of the Father in this passage.  Give me Your peace and help me to take heart when I encounter tribulations.  Amen

 

Meditation

Read and reread the following passage, taking God’s word in deeply.  As you do be sensitive to a phrase or verse the Holy Spirit emphasizes to you personally. 

 

16 A little while, and you will see me no longer; and again a little while, and you will see me. 17 So some of his disciples said to one another, What is this that he says to us, A little while, and you will not see me, and again a little while, and you will see me; and, because I am going to the Father? 18 So they were saying, What does he mean by a little while? We do not know what he is talking about. 19 Jesus knew that they wanted to ask him, so he said to them, Is this what you are asking yourselves, what I meant by saying, A little while and you will not see me, and again a little while and you will see me? 20 Truly, truly, I say to you, you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice. You will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will turn into joy. 21 When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world. 22 So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you. 23 In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. 24 Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.

25 I have said these things to you in figures of speech. The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures of speech but will tell you plainly about the Father. 26 In that day you will ask in my name, and I do not say to you that I will ask the Father on your behalf; 27 for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.[a] 28 I came from the Father and have come into the world, and now I am leaving the world and going to the Father.

29 His disciples said, Ah, now you are speaking plainly and not using figurative speech! 30 Now we know that you know all things and do not need anyone to question you; this is why we believe that you came from God. 31 Jesus answered them, Do you now believe? 32 Behold, the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home, and will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me. 33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.

 

 

 

Paraphrase

Rewrite the phrase or verse that the Holy Spirit highlighted during meditation.  What is your take away? 

 

Reflect

1.     One of the things that motivates us to stay close to Christ is knowing where He is (with the Father) and that He will be returning someday.  How often does knowing that Christ is returning cross your mind?  

2.     We live in a world where are happiness is often stolen, damaged, or lost because of the sin that surrounds us.  We hurt others and are hurt by them.  Depression and anxiety are at an all-time high.   Yet Jesus says someday no one will be able to take your joy away from you.  One of the things I am most excited about once Jesus returns is unending joy.  What do you look forward to when you think about eternity with Christ? 

3.     Verses 23 and 24 are often misquoted to construe the Father as a “genie on a bottle” and that God is beholden to our requests when we ask in the name of Christ.  The name of Christ means we pray with His spirit, will, and heart and thus receive what we pray for.  He asks us to pray for joy.  How often do you pray for that? 

4.     Verse 27 expresses two simple things we know about Jesus-we love Him and believe He came from God.  How wonderful it would be if we could be confident to share that with our non-believing friends and neighbors!  Do you often feel like you have to have a complicated speech prepared?  Does this verse help you think of another way to share your faith? 

5.     Jesus knew that soon His disciples would abandon Him yet He knew He wasn’t truly alone.  The Father is always with Him.  Is this your first thought when you are alone?  How could this truth encourage you when you feel abandoned? 

 

Closing Prayer

Jesus You are coming again!  I long to be united with You, to be filled with a joy that will never be taken away.  As I wait for Your return, let Your joy fill me.  I love You and believe You came from the Father.  Let these truths be always ready to be shared and sincere.  I am never alone.  You are always with me.  

 

Continue praying personally to the Lord with what He showed you during mediation and reflection.  

 

 

 



[1] v. 7

[2] Tolkien’s created world in the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study Introduction: Developing a Ministry of Reconciliation

Devotional: Balance

Christmas: The Promises of God