John-The Voice of the Door

  


 

 

Orient John 10:1-21

Following restoring the blind man’s vision, Jesus begins a well-known discourse of spiritual leadership.  As the Pharisees had just shown themselves foolish leaders, Jesus teaches about His spiritual guidance through the metaphor of door and shepherd, contrasting Himself against the religious rulers.  Theological elements include His cross and resurrection, as well as His sacrifice bringing in Gentiles to faith.  As we’ve seen as a pattern to Jesus’ teaching, His discourse ends with division among the rulers.  

 

Introduction

Recently our family introduced a rescue-cat into our home.  Our other pet is a mild-mannered senior Weimi.  She’s lived with cats before and thinks that every visitor, human or otherwise, is part of her pack.  Last time we brought in an adult cat, they were friends in weeks, even snuggling together on the bathroom rug.  This experience has been a bit different.  The new cat we adopted was found as a stray and is young—in cat years a 15-year-old.  He has boundless energy and we don’t know much about his history.  It only took a week or so to get him comfortable around our canine, but a few times a day he starts hissing.  Our dog is so wimpy, she gets behind me, unsure about why this cat still doesn’t like her.  She feels safe when I am physically between her and danger.  Today’s passage presents the same scenario.  Ancient sheep pens were often made of rock walls and had an opening for the sheep to go in and out.  At night, the shepherd would sleep in the doorway putting His body between them and predators.  He is our constant safety and security who lays down His life for us. 

 

Opening Prayer

Lord Jesus, you are my Shepherd, You call me and lead me in safety to all I need.  You go before me and I know Your voice.  Quiet the other voices around me so I can hear from You.  You guide me to pasture where all my needs are met.  Lead me this morning to the place abundant life is.  You know me and love me sacrificially.  Let that sink in as I read about Your care for me.  Amen

 

Meditation

Read and reread the following passage, taking God’s word in deeply.  As you do be sensitive to a phrase or verse the Holy Spirit emphasizes to you personally. 

 

10 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber. But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.” This figure of speech Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them.

 

 

So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.12 He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.16 And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.17 For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”

 

19 There was again a division among the Jews because of these words. 20 Many of them said, “He has a demon, and is insane; why listen to him?”21 Others said, “These are not the words of one who is oppressed by a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?”

 

 

Paraphrase

Rewrite the phrase or verse that the Holy Spirit highlighted during meditation.  What is your take away? 

 

Reflect

1.      The role of the shepherd is a common analogy that God uses throughout Scripture[1].  A shepherd protects, guides, and provides for the sheep.  When you think of how Jesus embodies His care in your life, which of those three qualities do you accept easily?  Which one do you need to grow in? 

 

2.     In my discipleship of other Christians, the question I get asked most is how I hear the voice of God?  This section teachers of the indicators of the believer is that we know His voice.  We live in a world that is distracting us constantly. Though we do experience promptings from the Holy Spirit, the primary way we hear the voice of the Shephard is through Scripture.  That is why we read, study, memorize, and meditate on Scripture.  Any inner promptings will align with what Scripture says; we must know it well to be discerning.  When has Scripture guided decisions in your life? 

 

3.     Verse 10 says Jesus comes to give us abundant life.  The ESV commentary defines this as life that is: rich, full, joyful…one overflowing with meaningful activities under the personal favor and blessing of God and in continual fellowship with his people. When you read that definition which are you experiencing right now?  What is lacking? 

 

4.     In this section, Jesus calls Himself the Shephard and the Door.  To belong to His church, be in the fold, the only way is through Him.  This idea that Jesus is the only way to salvation is not accepted by those outside faith.  Many people think it is arrogant to claim exclusivity when it comes to salvation.  How would you explain the difference using the truth claims in this section? 

 

5.     In verse 14 Jesus describes our relationship with Him as symmetrical.  He knows us and we know Him.  Though we see dimly[2] compared to the clarity of Christ[3], a theme in this chapter is our ability to hear, know, and follow Jesus.  How would you rate your knowledge of Christ on a scale of 1-5.  What would it take to increase your knowledge of Him? 

 

Closing Prayer

Lord you are my Shephard.  Forgive me for the times I didn’t follow You to still waters, trust Your provision, or allow You to defend me.  You say I can always hear Your voice but it is often hard to hear as I allow the cares of this world to distract me, my flesh to tempt me, and consider the lies of the enemy.  Draw me continually to Your word so I can hear clearly and let the truth of Scripture be the light unto my feet that You promised it would be.  I long for the abundant life that You promise and it is found in the precepts and tenants of Your word.  You are the Door, the only way to the Father.  Give me the right words to always be ready to share the hope within me.  I long to know You more as I am fully known by You. 

 

Continue praying personally to the Lord with what He showed you during mediation and reflection.  

 

 

 



[1] https://www.9marks.org/article/biblical-theology-and-shepherding/

[2] 1 Corinthians 13:12

[3] John 2:23-25

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study Introduction: Developing a Ministry of Reconciliation

Devotional: Balance

Christmas: The Promises of God