John-Actions Speak Louder

  


  

Orient John 10:22-42

An unspecified time goes by (from fall to winter) and Jesus is once again engaging in dialog with the religious leaders at a gathering of the Jews in Jerusalem.  This festival was the Feast of Dedication otherwise known as Hanukkah.  We don’t find information about this festival in our Bible as it was established during the intertestamental period (between Malachi and Matthew).  The Jews once again press Jesus to reveal who He is to them and don’t like His answer, of being one with the Father, a claim to diety.  They attempt to stone Him and He once again slips through their hands, ending up across the Jordan, where John the Baptizer started his ministry.  Deep doctrinal statements are found in this section regarding election, eternal security, the plan of salvation, and the unity of the Trinity.  

 

Introduction

How do you build trust with someone?  When you begin a new relationship, there is often a time period where we observe one’s actions to determine if they match up with the words that are said.  We end up trusting individuals whose integrity is shown by consistency.  To set up this week’s scripture meditation, let’s go back to our introduction to the book of John.  The over-arching theme of John’s gospel is to believe that Jesus is the Son of God, the promised Messiah, and that by believing in Him you will find life in His name.  Throughout the book, John presents many witnesses that we may believe.  As He finds Himself once again in a conflict of words, He asks the leaders to look at what He does; His miracles, that could only be done by God as they are divinely empowered, show who He is.  When we doubt, let us remember who Jesus is by what He has done for us.  

 

Opening Prayer

Lord, as I read Your word today help me to take in all the miraculous works You have done for me.  It is Your plain witness that authenticates You as God.  I, like a sheep, want to hear Your voice and continue to follow you.  Nothing can take me from You; draw me close as I tend to wander.  Bring to mind all You have done and let it give me confidence in who You are-one with the Father, the Christ, Giver of eternal life, the One who calls me and holds me securely for all time.  I am known by you and fully loved.  Amen  

 

Meditation

Read and reread the following passage, taking God’s word in deeply.  As you do be sensitive to a phrase or verse the Holy Spirit emphasizes to you personally. 

 

John 10 (ESV)

22 At that time the Feast of Dedication took place at Jerusalem. It was winter, 23 and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the colonnade of Solomon. 24 So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” 25 Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me,26 but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.30 I and the Father are one.”

 

31 The Jews picked up stones again to stone him.32 Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?” 33 The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.” 34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’? 35 If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be broken— 36 do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’? 37 If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; 38 but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.” 39 Again they sought to arrest him, but he escaped from their hands.

 

40 He went away again across the Jordan to the place where John had been baptizing at first, and there he remained. 41 And many came to him. And they said, “John did no sign, but everything that John said about this man was true.” 42 And many believed in him there.

 

 

Paraphrase

Rewrite the phrase or verse that the Holy Spirit highlighted during meditation.  What is your take away? 

 

Reflect

1.      Has Christ revealed Himself to them plainly?  Why or why not?  How did He reveal Himself to you initially?  Is that still how you behold Jesus in your day-to-day?  

 

2.     This passage has much to say about who is saved and why.  Go back through and reread if necessary.  How does this passage explain salvation (those who are Jesus’s sheep) and what it is like to be His? We are called to always have a ready answer for the hope that lies within us[1].  How could this passage help you explain the process? 

 

 

3.     Verse 35 is a powerful reminder that Scripture can’t be broken.  It can’t be undone or set aside.  It does not lie or change but stays the same, something we can count on and build our life upon.  Jesus Himself lifts up Scripture and is the basis for his rebuttal to the Pharisees about why they don’t have the legal right to stone Him.  Do you have this same high view of Scripture?  


4.     This post is titled actions speak louder than words.  This is the point Jesus makes to show that to believe, we have to see proof.  What things has God done in your life that show you deeply that He is good, He is real, He is for you, and He is who He says He is.  How can remembering this carry you through times you are tempted to doubt?


5.   One of the most encouraging verses in all of Scripture is found in this section.  No one will leave the hands of Jesus.  Nothing you never do, and no enemy, no danger, no circumstance will take away your salvation.  How does this fill you with hope?  Once you have eternal life, You will never be parted from Christ. 

 

6   At the end of this section, John shows a group of people He contrasts with the Pharisees, who do believe Jesus based on His miracles-John the Baptizer’s disciples.  Here is a check-in of how you are tracking with understanding who Jesus is so far through the book of John: What did John say about Jesus?  Read/reread chapter 1 & 3 in John and make a list of the things told about Jesus.  Do you believe they are true? What ones still don’t make sense to you? Which statements have become more clear as we’ve read through John’s gospel? 

 

Closing Prayer

Lord Jesus, when I stop to think about who You are and what You have done for me, I see plainly that You are worthy of all of my worship and trust.  As the days go by, I long to see You every more clearly at work in my life.  From the foundational of the world[2] You had a plan to save me.  As I read John I see the intentionality required so I would know you as You know me.  Like a vulnerable sheep You guide me and will for all of my days as You have freely give me eternal life.  I will never be parted from You as You are stronger than all things.  From every enemy that lies to me, every circumstance, every sin that has been paid for by Your blood.  You alone give me the security of salvation.  Your word is trustworthy and I want to build my life on You. Elevate my view of Scripture.  Let me trust it and lean on it.  You are the Lamb of God who takes away sin, You rank before me as You are infinite.  You must increase as I decrease. 

 

Continue praying personally to the Lord with what He showed you during mediation and reflection.  

 

 

 



[1] 1 Peter 3:15

[2] Ephesians 1:4



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study Introduction: Developing a Ministry of Reconciliation

Devotional: Balance

Christmas: The Promises of God