John-Let the Light In

  


 

 

Orient John 8:12-30

If you’ve been following us each installment of the John series, you might wonder if I missed posting the first 11 verses of chapter 8.  The missing passage, commonly known as the woman caught in adulty, is not found in the earliest manuscripts and thus won’t be included in my walk-through John.  Though it does not contradict Scripture, in my view this section of scripture isn’t considered sacred text according to the process of textual criticism that makes me trust the Bible.  That sets the stage for the setting of the passage we are considering.  If the story of the woman was added later, it is likely assumed that Jesus is still teaching at the Festival of Booths.  What follows is a conflict story with the Pharisees, as they question Jesus.  As you read, themes from chapter 5 will be familiar: witness and judgment.  

 

Introduction

Every morning when I get up, I have to go outside to get to our home gym.  I’m in that season of life where I don’t have time to exercise if I’m relying on my schedule being free after work so I get up early every day. I’m not a morning person so this is a huge sacrifice!  Our gym is in a section of our shop and most of the year where I live it’s dark until 7 am.  I have a flashlight I keep on the counter to grab as I stumble out to the dark and cold most mornings.  If I’m really tired and forget my light I will use the flashlight app on my phone, yet the light it supplies is paltry compared to my military grade, palm-sized illumination of the one I keep on my counter.  Having light in the dark is essential.  Jesus begins today’s teaching by stating another symbolic reference to Himself-He is the light of the world.  As you read today, notice the benefits of light and the perspective of those who stay in darkness. 

 

Opening Prayer

Jesus, I come today to find illumination in a world of darkness.  I submit to Your true testimony of Yourself and what the world is like.  Your words are true because they align with the Father.  Teach me about You so I can know what He is like.  You always please Him and I want to please Him too.  Let me listen and believe.  Amen

 

Meditation

Read and reread the following passage, taking God’s word in deeply.  As you do be sensitive to a phrase or verse the Holy Spirit emphasizes to you personally. 


 John 8 (ESV)

12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” 13 So the Pharisees said to him, “You are bearing witness about yourself; your testimony is not true.” 14 Jesus answered, “Even if I do bear witness about myself, my testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. 15 You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one. 16 Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me. 17 In your Law it is written that the testimony of two people is true. 18 I am the one who bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me.” 19 They said to him therefore, “Where is your Father?” Jesus answered, “You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” 20 These words he spoke in the treasury, as he taught in the temple; but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come.

 

21 So he said to them again, “I am going away, and you will seek me, and you will die in your sin. Where I am going, you cannot come.” 22 So the Jews said, “Will he kill himself, since he says, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come’?” 23 He said to them, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24 I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.” 25 So they said to him, “Who are you?” Jesus said to them, “Just what I have been telling you from the beginning. 26 I have much to say about you and much to judge, but he who sent me is true, and I declare to the world what I have heard from him.” 27 They did not understand that he had been speaking to them about the Father. 28 So Jesus said to them, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own authority, but speak just as the Father taught me. 29 And he who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him.”30 As he was saying these things, many believed in him.

 

 

Paraphrase

Rewrite the phrase or verse that the Holy Spirit highlighted during meditation.  What is your take away? 

 

Reflect

1.     The Feast of Booths had a ceremony of candles to commemorate the fire that represented God’s presence while the Israelites dwelt in tents post-Exodus in their journey to the promised land.  By identifying Himself as light during this important cultural moment, Jesus claimed to be God, as well as to highlight an essential part of His character that He wanted to be known by.  Light dispels darkness, reveals, can expand, and grows living things.  Light illuminates and clarifies, is warmth and power, and symbolically represents the good.  How does Jesus personally show Himself to you in these ways? 

 

2.     Referencing Himself as light, Jesus claims that those that don’t follow Him are “in darkness[1].” Which qualities and warnings does Jesus critique His opponents for?  The summation of this rebuke describes someone in darkness.  After experiencing salvation, Christians undergo sanctification, the process of becoming more Christlike of living “in the light.” What darkness are you battling?  How far have you already come? 

 

3.     Jesus knows people are likely to judge by human standards.  1 Samuel 16:7 tells us that People look at the outward appearance but the Lord looks at the heart.  God is the only righteous and accurate judge because He can see with a heavenly perspective and looks beyond the surface to the feelings and intentions within.  When do you tend to use earthly judgement? 

 

4.     Throughout this passage, Jesus describes His unity with the Father.  In verse 29, He shares that He is never alone because He pleases God.  God is holy and we are not[2]. At first glance, you may think that God’s presence can be taken away because we know we are far from perfect, yet the Bible says that when we are “in Christ,” we are covered with His righteousness[3].  That’s a way of saying that when He looks at us, He sees the perfect deeds of Christ, not our constant mistakes.  He dwells in believers through His Spirit[4].  We are also never alone.  How does this truth minister to you?  

 

Closing Prayer

Jesus you are Light!  You show me what is true, make my way clear, and reveal all my hidden sin.  You are my righteousness.  I want to remember that I am securely in You and the Father is pleased because of Your work when He looks at me. I am never alone; You guide and comfort me.  Help me show Your light by using heavenly judgement-trusting in Your perspective.  I want many in darkness to see You.  I was once groping and stumbling for light and You have forever changed me.  Draw many to You God and let me be a conduit to display Your glory. 

 

Continue praying personally to the Lord with what He showed you during mediation and reflection.  

 

 

 



[1] v. 12

[2] https://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/holiness-god-and-sinfulness-man

[3] 2 Corinthians 5:21

[4] Ephesians 1:13

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study Introduction: Developing a Ministry of Reconciliation

Devotional: Balance

Christmas: The Promises of God