John-Family Heritage


  

Orient John 8:31-59

This passage introduces an argument thread between Jesus and those that “believed in Him” from the first teaching segment of chapter 7.  Eventually, the listeners show themselves to be counterfeit as they pick up stones to kill him.  As we learned last time, many commentators believe He is still teaching publicly at the Feast of Booths.  This week’s passage contains many contrasts, and as typical of his dialog with the religious leaders, misunderstandings of spiritual truths taken literally; look for themes about slavery and genealogy.  Jesus continues to connect Himself with the Father’s approval and plans and uses Abraham to persuade the Jewish leaders of His authority.  

 

Introduction

Whenever a new baby is born, it’s natural to analyze their physical characteristics to see if they look more like their mother or father.  The resemblance can change with an expression or adapt as they age.  When older, many people compare your character to other’s in your family.  In a spiritual sense, Jesus enlightens the Pharisees about who in the family they take after, yet it’s not God the Father as they claim.  It’s takes more than ethnic lineage or spiritual heritage to be grafted into the family of God[1] as all of us are slaves to sin[2] unless we believe in Christ.  As you read today, notice the contrasts of Abraham’s spiritual offspring verses the devil’s descendants.  In the final reckoning, who do you want to resemble? 

 

Opening Prayer

Jesus, I come to abide in Your word.  I want to remain in it, let it take root in me.  Let it remain so I will be a true disciple and experience the freedom You offer me from the captivity of sin.  I want to live with a spirit of joy and gratitude because I’ve been redeemed.  Let me show myself as Your descendent as I love You and long to hear Your words today.  Like Abraham, who rejoiced to see Your day from afar, I rejoice, knowing that in You I will never experience death but life eternal.  Let these words I read and consider give me that life even now.  Amen. 

 

Meditation

Read and reread the following passage, taking God’s word in deeply.  As you do be sensitive to a phrase or verse the Holy Spirit emphasizes to you personally. 

 

John 8

31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples,32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 33 They answered him, “We are offspring of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone. How is it that you say, ‘You will become free’?”

34 Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin. 35 The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37 I know that you are offspring of Abraham; yet you seek to kill me because my word finds no place in you. 38 I speak of what I have seen with my Father, and you do what you have heard from your father.”

 

39 They answered him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham's children, you would be doing the works Abraham did, 40 but now you seek to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. This is not what Abraham did. 41 You are doing the works your father did.” They said to him, “We were not born of sexual immorality. We have one Father—even God.”42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me.43 Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. 46 Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me?47 Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.”

 

48 The Jews answered him, “Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?” 49 Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me.50 Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is One who seeks it, and he is the judge. 51 Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.” 52 The Jews said to him, “Now we know that you have a demon! Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘If anyone keeps my word, he will never taste death.’ 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets died! Who do you make yourself out to be?” 54 Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’ 55 But you have not known him. I know him. If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and I keep his word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” 57 So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” 59 So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.

 

 

Paraphrase

Rewrite the phrase or verse that the Holy Spirit highlighted during meditation.  What is your take away? 

 

Reflect

1.     Jesus is talking to those that have professed to believe in Him.  Those with authentic faith stick with Jesus and His teaching, even when it is difficult to accept.  The Jew’s He was speaking with couldn’t see they were actually slaves to their sin nature.  Consider your own spiritual state.  Do the characteristics that describe of Abraham fit you: free, loving Jesus, hearing and obeying His words?  Or are you still experiencing a life under the shadow of sin, the byproduct of those in league with the enemy: God’s word finds no place in you, you struggle to understand Jesus and are even hostile to His message of grace.  Today could be the day of salvation[3].  Confess your futile state to Jesus and ask Him to exchange your shame for His righteousness. *

 

2.     Jesus makes clear in verse 42 that He is the Father’s Son because He came not of His own accord or will but to please the Father.  We don’t obey God out of duty to keep our status pleasing to Him, but we obey because we already please Him as He became sin for us[4].  When you abide in Christ is it out of gratitude or false obligation? 

 

3.     One of the qualities of Jesus embodied is humility. He didn’t seek His own glory, but let the Father glorify Him (v. 54).  We are to aim for glory beyond our own, seeking to please the Father, to hear Him say well done because of our faithfulness[5].  What things would change in your life if you had that goal? 

 

4.     Abraham rejoiced in the promises of Christ, that all nations would be blessed through Him[6] and even experienced the provision of salvation for His son as God provided the ram for the sacrifice[7].  We too can long for Christ to come again.  Luke 17:22 says, 
The days are coming when you will desire to see of the days of the Son of Man…” Are you rejoicing in the promise that Christ will come again?  How does this mindset help in times of trial, when you experience injustice and persecution? 

 

Closing Prayer

Lord, I want to be a descendant of Abraham.  I want to stick with You until the end, letting your words remain and grow in me until all of my actions reflect Your compassion.  Continue to sanctify me and make me new.  Let me love and obey You because of what You’ve done for me in Christ.  I want to glorify You as only You are worthy.  I want to please You and remain faithful to You.  I am longing for You to return, to be with You. 

 

Continue praying personally to the Lord with what He showed you during mediation and reflection.  

 

 

 



[1] Romans 11:20

[2] Romans 3:9

[3] 2 Corinthians 6:2

*If you’ve believed on Christ before, please comment, I’d love to connect with you and encourage your new faith

[4] 2 Corinthians 5:21

[5] Matthew 25:23

[6] Genesis 22:18

[7] Genesis 22:9-13

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study Introduction: Developing a Ministry of Reconciliation

Devotional: Balance

Christmas: The Promises of God