Foolish Things



Have you ever done something dumb? I laugh internally as I type that thought because if you didn’t mentally acquiesce answer in the affirmative than you just made your first idiotic move.  

 

Foolishness resides in our sin nature.  It is easily noticed character flaw that makes us differ from God.  Even at the thought level God is superior to us[1].  To be foolish means to lack good sense or judgement; to act on a whim without thinking of the consequences.  

 

            The wisest of women builds her house,

                        but folly with her own hands tears it down.-Proverbs 14:1

 

My current lack of discernment was birthed by pride.  Earlier in the week, some friends that I send weekly devotionals to gave me a compliment on my teaching.  Fuel by the boost, I shared some words, though not untrue, a bit rashly.  It’s not like I said anything wrong, just in an unhelpful way.  These friends are graceful, I’m sure they didn’t think anything of it.  Yet because I got no response, Satan took that opportunity to attack me with doubt on sharing my gift. 

 

God came to my rescue.  The Helper, as Jesus promised[2], brought these comforting words to mind to counter the suggestions that plagued my thoughts:

 

 

But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; -1 Corinthians 1:27

 

I was able to resist the Liar by meditating on the truth of God.  I remembered that despite my tactlessness, His word never goes out without accomplishing His purpose[3].  Because of the benefit of the indwelling Spirit, I was able to rest well and for the most part let it go.  

 

As is typical of at my house on a Saturday morning, my teens slept through the early hours.  As a couple, we typically enjoy a quiet start to the day and read or study together.  Starting my weekly ritual, which is the scenario most often dear reader where many of my blog posts get written, I picked up my book and unsuspectingly began to read.  Only 2 pages in, God gave me a prophetic word for my husband and our future ministry.  I haven’t been used that way by the Lord in quite a while, the divine sensation that He has something urgent to speak through me.  I knew it at once, as it distinctly came from beyond me. 

 

I don’t share this to be sensational, but to give evidence of the lesson that had come full circle for me in that moment.  The reminder that God uses me despite me.  That He will bring His kingdom to bear upon this world and chooses to use the foolish, me in particular.  My faith clung to this belief stubbornly the day before and in His grace, which is new every morning[4], was reassured as God worked through me in a deeply personal way. “Remember,” His quiet way of speaking echoed to my marveled heart, 

 

 

there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. –1 Corinthians 12:6

 

As believers, we only get to experience the power of God as concave vessels, designed by a Potter who has a use for each one[5].  We are formed empty and receive talents, insights, and abilities that are meant to be given back as we partner with Him in His redemptive work on earth.  In our stumbling, in our desire to serve Him and others, we will do foolish things, but He shows His grace in our feeble attempts to say, “Dad, look at me!”

 

The danger is that because of our set-backs we may give up.  But dear reader, please don’t.  

 

And he said to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.-Luke 10:2

 

Where God has put you, He intends to use you.  Even during a world pandemic when you are stuck in your home.  There is a unique part of God that resides in you that the church needs to experience to function[6] in the way God designed it.  

 

 

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up- Galatians 6:9

 

 

So let my experience of being foolish bear fruit, for God wastes nothing.  I pray these words I write do not echo blankly through the Matrix but strike a resounding chord in your heart.  If you doubt you have gifts, one that God can always use is our vulnerability.  Out of a humble heart, your ability to reveal your struggles to others rises like incense, the very melody of worship to a world that is straining to hope.  I sense that this Christmas season more than any other, people are hungry for Joy Incarnate. For in a field, to unsuspecting shepherds, He announced His arrival through a multitude of angles in chorus.  

 

The shepherds were not just thought to be foolish, but outcasts.  They were less than blue collar workers.  They had the job no one wanted, hours alone with only sheep for company, making their home outside in all types of weather.  Who would believe what they had seen?  Yet they didn’t let their status stop them from announcing to the world Jesus was at the door. 

 

We may pass over the shepherds when we consider the Christmas narrative. But like every story in the Bible, we are use this recounting as a mirror and find ourselves in it.  So often we are the shepherds, the outsiders, the rejected, the phonies, the wanna-be’s.  Yet as God sees our wretched state, He elevates our countenance by heralding His good news and reminding us what happens next in the story.  I’m coming.  He came and will come again, not as a baby but as a warrior,[7] ready to bring our enemies to ruin.  We long for him to return, our daily life a testimony to that battle, with assurance that all it takes is a word from His mouth to defeat everything set against[8] and to trust that the way we contribute to what He’s doing matters.  

 

Be foolish.  Like Paul, be foolish for the sake of Christ[9].  You are no fool to give up your pride, to become beloved[10] in the heart of God.  For you that may be putting yourself out there, again.  It may be confessing to Him you’ve been working under your own power.  It might also be wondering this Christmas who Jesus is to you?  Why is He good news? Then there may be space for Him to live in you, like He did in a manger.  

 

 



[1] Psalm 92:5

[2] John 14:26

[3] Isaiah 55:11

[4] Lamentations 3:23

[5] Romans 9:21

[6] 1 Corinthians 12:14

 

[7] Revelation 19:11

[8] Revelation 19:15

[9] 1 Corinthians 4:10

[10] Song of Solomon 7:10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study Introduction: Developing a Ministry of Reconciliation

Devotional: Balance

Christmas: The Promises of God