The Ministry of Reconciliation: On Your Own

Next week I'm going on vacation and won't be posting a study.  So this week I'm doing two-but there is a catch...you create the study!  Now before you think I'm a total slacker this is really for your benefit.  Your goal as a Christian is to grow into a self-feeder when it comes to the word.  Hebrews 5:12-14 says that  as we grow in the faith how we feed (understand the word) is to grow to, much like the natural course of human development.  I'll be giving you some "behind the scenes" on how I do my study for you to give you a jump start.   
To finish up our study on bringing others the word of reconciliation, we will finish by looking at how we are to treat other believers.  Though I will still write this study for you when I return, your work this week is to preview the topic by your own searching. Just think of it like I'm sending you on a biblical-treasure hunt.  Here are some guidelines on how to approach this if you aren't sure how to go about studying.   Don't forget the Spirit who lives in you as "His anointing teaches you about all things" (1 John 2:27).  He is fully able to show you what you need.

Things to try:
1.  Journal about your experience with other believers, the positive and negative.  What questions do you have? 
2.  Look up some key words in your concordance like: believers, the brethren, the body.  A concordance is typically found in the back of a study bible and gives you passages where you find that word in a verse.  Read those passages.
3.  If you find a verse that speaks to you and you want to find out more, look up the cross-reference.  a cross reference is usually on the margin or bottom of your bible that gives other verses that match and are referenced by the one you read.
4.  Read in a commentary more about a passage you find.  In that commentary the author will usually explain more about the topic and where in the bible to read more about it.  Many study bibles have commentary built in as notes at the bottom of your page.
5.  Make sure you list all you learn and try to answer the questions that you have.  When I do my study in a couple weeks I'll ask you to compare what I find to what you've learned.

Have fun!  If you have any questions please post a comment.  I will have my smarty phone with me and will be checking the blog here and there.

Comments

Popular Posts