John-We are one

  


 

 

Orient John 17:1-26

This section of text is one of the most well known in Scripture.  The bible records an extended prayer by Jesus called the High Priestly Prayer.  Its content can be divided into 3 broad sections: v 1-6 Jesus prays for Himself, v 7-19 He prays for His disciples, and in v 20-26 He prays for future believers.  These recorded words are even more precious as after His prayer, He and His diciples cross the Kidron and Jesus is arrested.  

 

Introduction

Praying for another believer is a privilege and a challenge.  It is a privilege in the sense that we get to talk with God about our mutual friends.  We get to participate in divine communication.  We get to pour our heart out to One that has power.  We experience answered prayers and feel that in some small way we are doing something for a loved one.  Praying for others is also a challenge.  Sometimes we don’t know what to say.  We get discouraged when God doesn’t move in the way we think He should or at the time we want.  We get busy and if we can’t pray then and there sometimes don’t get to it and guilt follows.  When you need prayer, whom do you usually ask?  We’ve already read in John that the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings too deep for words[1].  We also know Jesus resides at the right hand of the Father where He intercedes for us[2].  I’d love to know what He’s saying when He thinks of me!  By reading today’s scripture, we get a peek into what Jesus prayers are like for His followers. 

 

Opening Prayer

Holy Trinity, let me know You as the only True God.  Let me keep Your word.  Jesus be glorified in me.  Keep me in Your name so I may be one with all who worship You.  May the joy of Jesus fill me up.  When I am hated for Your name, sanctify me in Your word.  Let today’s meditation speak deeply to my heart, bringing unity of faith with other believers and filling my heart with divine love.  Amen

 

Meditation

Read and reread the following passage, taking God’s word in deeply.  As you do be sensitive to a phrase or verse the Holy Spirit emphasizes to you personally. 

 

17 When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.

I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you. For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. 10 All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.13 But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one.[a] 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them[b] in the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sake I consecrate myself,[c] that they also may be sanctified[d] in truth.

20 I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. 24 Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me. 26 I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.

 

 

Paraphrase

Rewrite the phrase or verse that the Holy Spirit highlighted during meditation.  What is your take away? 

 

Reflect

1.     Reread the prayer and notice what Jesus prays for believers.  Write them down (when I did that I noticed 17 different things).  As you read through your list, what are you needing most right now.  Be encouraged that Jesus prays this for you. 

2.     Often we think of eternal life starting in heaven after we die, but verse 3 reminds us that eternal life is knowing the true God.  Eternal life can and does start right here on earth because through the atonement of Christ, our souls are reconnected to the source of life.  That is the biblical definition of knowing God-perfect union with Him.  Are you waiting for heaven to access this supply?  What things can you do to promote union? 

3.     In verse 6 Jesus says He “manifested your name to the people whole you gave me out of the world.”  This verse implies that to showcase one’s name is to embody their presence.  During His time on earth, Jesus demonstrated in a face-to-face way who the Father is, spelled out His essence and character.  Many people feel drawn to Jesus but aren’t sure about the God of the Old Testament.  Does knowing they are one in the same change your view of the Father? 

4.     When we are aligned with Jesus, we sense the reality that we don’t belong in this world.  We are to be connected with God’s people in worship and fellowship but also be a witness and not isolate ourselves.  Do you struggle with the fact that being a Christian isolates you from others who don’t know Him?  In what ways to you need to seek belonging with God’s people? 

5.     Verse 24 stood out to me because Jesus expresses to the Father His desire that we be with Him.  So often I think about how I long to see Jesus, to be with Him in a physical way, in addition to the spiritual way I’m connected to Him now.  To think that He longs to be with me warms my heart, especially when I feel like I’m unwanted.  How does this statement make you feel? 

Closing Prayer

Jesus, thank You for praying for me.  You desire I know You and that everything good I have is from You.  You show me truth and pray for me.  There is joy delivered when I consider how You protect me by keeping me from the evil one.  There is purpose that I am sent and unity with You and others comforts me.  Not only that, You choose to glorify Yourself in me and promise to reunite us someday.  It all adds up to love, a divine love I’m not worthy to experience.  This is eternal life, that I know you and it can happen right now!  Fill me with Your life, to overflowing so it naturally spills out to others.  Holy Trinity, You display the holy aspects of the same Being.  Thank you Jesus for showing me the goodness of the Father and carrying out His plan for my salvation.  When I am alone, help me remember You long to be with me.  I am wanted even when I am isolated because I stand with You.  Empower me to stand in those times when I am tempted to align with the world to avoid ridicule or persecution.  

 

Continue praying personally to the Lord with what He showed you during mediation and reflection.  

 

 

 



[1] Romans 8:26

[2] Romans 8:34

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study Introduction: Developing a Ministry of Reconciliation

Devotional: Balance

Christmas: The Promises of God