John-Abide

  


 

 

Orient John 15:1-17

Christ continues his teaching to the disciples before His arrest as they walk from the Upper Room to the Garden of Gethsemane.  In this well-known section, Jesus uses an analogy from horticulture to explain the benefits to staying close to God.  He returns to previous themes connecting love for Him with obedience to Him.  

 

Introduction

A funny thing to ask people about is household chores.  Some people love laundry while others hate it.  I personally would rather clean a toilet than mop the floor.  There is really no apparent rhyme or reason to placing our weekly chores on a scale of enjoyment.  For me, one of my least favorite responsibilities is yard work.  Ironically, I live on 5 acres and the previous owners had spent lots of time curating a meticulous landscape surrounding the house.  Though a beauty to behold, it is a lot of work! Though it is mostly floral, we do have 2 apple trees.  One is quite mature but laid dormant for years, not producing apples.  Then one year we got a bumper crop!  I was giving apples away as well as making pie filling and apple sauce for the winter.  We decided to prune that tree well to get more apples the next year.  Pruning is something we are all familiar with but it is a painful experience to go through.  It’s easy to lose sight of what we get and that it’s worth it.  Today’s passage outlines the path of spiritual maturity and reminds us that Jesus is not content to leave us how we are. 

 

Opening Prayer

Father, you are the vinedresser.  Keep me in the True Vine.  When you take away the things in me that don’t bear fruit, let me respond by abiding, even in the pain.  I can do nothing apart from You.  I long to glorify You by the fruit You produce in me when I keep Your commandments.  I thank You for laying down Your life for me and calling me friend.  Let me honor You as I am chosen and destined to bear fruit and abide.  Amen

 

Meditation

Read and reread the following passage, taking God’s word in deeply.  As you do be sensitive to a phrase or verse the Holy Spirit emphasizes to you personally. 

 

15 I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.

12 This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15 No longer do I call you servants,[a] for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.17 These things I command you, so that you will love one another.

Paraphrase

Rewrite the phrase or verse that the Holy Spirit highlighted during meditation.  What is your take away? 

 

Reflect

1.      The pruning process is cyclical.  It doesn’t have an end point as it is the process by which the Father intercedes in our lives to bring spiritual growth.  What cycle are you in currently?  Pruning or seeing fruit?  

2.     One way we can participate in the growth process is to abide in Christ.  Though He is always with us as we are sealed with the Spirit[1] and no one can take us from his hand[2], there are things we can do to push away from the abiding presence of Christ.  What are some practical ways to abide? When do you find yourself moving away? 

3.     The vine and branch metaphor demonstrates an important truth of the Christian faith: we are always dependent.  In verse 5 Jesus teaches that apart from Him we can do nothing.  Has there been a time in your faith where you tried by your own strength to bring forth fruit?  What did you learn from that experience? 

4.     The ESV commentary[3] says about verse 11: “Obedience is not the equated with drudgery, it all about joy.”  When Jesus asks you to submit your will to His, is it a joy filled process?  Does joy happen at the point of decision or come later as you live out His will for you? 

5.     To experience the love of Christ that comes from abiding, we also need to stay connected to others who are in Christ.  How is your connection to other believers?  

 

Closing Prayer

Father, You are committed to me, to seeing me become more like You and glorify You by the change You create in me.  Thank You for taking away the things that don’t benefit me.  It is hard at times to accept Your work, so I ask for patience and long-suffering to wait for the joy that is to come.  Let me always trust that the things You take away are ultimately for my good.  Teach me how to abide in You through prayer, obedience, and community.  I can do nothing from my own strength, remind me I am always dependent on You. I want to experience more of Your love.  Let me receive by loving those in our spiritual family. 

 

Continue praying personally to the Lord with what He showed you during mediation and reflection.  

 

 

 



[1] Ephesians 1:13

[2] John 10:28

[3] ESV Study Bible, Crossway

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study Introduction: Developing a Ministry of Reconciliation

Devotional: Balance

Christmas: The Promises of God