John-Miraculous Provision

 



Orient John 6:1-21

Today’s reading contains 2 of the 7 signs in this part of John’s gospel.  The first, done in a huge crowd, calls us to notice the provision of Jesus and is meant to remind the reader of the Exodus motif-how God provided bread for God’s people in the wilderness.  Next time, we will hear Jesus teach about the significance of His provision. The second sign was made just to his disciples and is more commonly known by its parallel passage in Matthew 14 where Peter asks to walk on water as well.

 

Introduction

I’ve been pretty mentally fatigued lately.  I can’t seem to hold much in my head for more than a few minutes and details get lost in a fog.  Most days when I get in my car, I start driving to work--even if I intended to go to the grocery store!  At lunch last week, a coworker of mine was commenting on finally recovering from pregnancy brain and her son is over a year old.  To some extent, I think the entire world has “COVID brain.”  We’ve all been recovering from living through a pandemic and the colossal changes that has brought to our lives.  Add to that my profession.  I’m a teacher and some studies have shown that in my regular work day, I quickly make around 1500 decisions.  No wonder I feel so incapable of mental acuity by 3 pm!  Most days when faced with a problem to solve, I look for the most reliable and logical solution.  In our passage today, Jesus’ disciples did the same thing.  After healing the lame man and experiencing elevated conflict with the Pharisees, Jesus and his disciples went up on a mountain to get some rest.  Yet the crowd followed Him.  In His compassion, Jesus desires to feed the people and asked Philip how they can be fed. Like most of us, Philip looks to the logical route.  How do we approach challenges?  Do we look to worldly solutions or divine resources? 

 

 

Opening Prayer

Jesus, I want to get away with you to the mountains and sit without interruption.  I often get frustrated when life’s demands interrupt my time with You.  I’m here to learn and listen; protect this time and let me put everything else to the side.   Show me as I read today Your power and perspective.  Give me a fresh measure of your compassion as I see how You feed the hungry.  Show me Your power as I see Your control over the elements.  As You interact with Your disciples, let me put myself in their shoes as I long to be Your true disciple too.  Amen

 

Meditation

Read and reread the following passage, taking God’s word in deeply.  As you do be sensitive to a phrase or verse the Holy Spirit emphasizes to you personally. 

 

After this Jesus went away to the other side of the Sea of Galilee, which is the Sea of Tiberias.And a large crowd was following him, because they saw the signs that he was doing on the sick.Jesus went up on the mountain, and there he sat down with his disciples. Now the Passover, the feast of the Jews, was at hand. Lifting up his eyes, then, and seeing that a large crowd was coming toward him, Jesus said to Philip, “Where are we to buy bread, so that these people may eat?” He said this to test him, for he himself knew what he would do. Philip answered him, “Two hundred denariiworth of bread would not be enough for each of them to get a little.” One of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, said to him, “There is a boy here who has five barley loaves and two fish, but what are they for so many?” 10 Jesus said, “Have the people sit down.” Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, about five thousand in number. 11 Jesus then took the loaves, and when he had given thanks, he distributed them to those who were seated. So also the fish, as much as they wanted. 12 And when they had eaten their fill, he told his disciples, “Gather up the leftover fragments, that nothing may be lost.” 13 So they gathered them up and filled twelve baskets with fragments from the five barley loaves left by those who had eaten. 14 When the people saw the sign that he had done, they said, “This is indeed the Prophet who is to come into the world!”

15 Perceiving then that they were about to come and take him by force to make him king, Jesus withdrew again to the mountain by himself.

16 When evening came, his disciples went down to the sea, 17 got into a boat, and started across the sea to Capernaum. It was now dark, and Jesus had not yet come to them. 18 The sea became rough because a strong wind was blowing. 19 When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the sea and coming near the boat, and they were frightened. 20 But he said to them, “It is I; do not be afraid.” 21 Then they were glad to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat was at the land to which they were going.

Paraphrase

Rewrite the phrase or verse that the Holy Spirit highlighted during meditation.  What is your take away? 

 

Reflect

1.     Jesus feeds a multitude in the desert, much like God miraculously provided manna in the dessert for His people.  Later on in this gospel[1], Jesus will ask Peter to feed His sheep.  We are called to make disciples[2] and that means symbolically feeding them-building them up in faith and knowledge.  When you feed another disciple of Christ, do you turn to your own power or divine provision?  Do you think their sustenance depends on your or the Spirit of God? 

 

2.     Jesus asks Philip in verse 5 where to buy bread.  Later Andrew comes with a partial solution.  Jesus comes to his disciples not to have them solve the problem but to test them, to help them see what is in their heart.  If Jesus asked you this question, what would you say was the “right” answer?  Put yourself in Philip and Andrew’s shoes?  What does this reveal about your faith? 

3.     This miracle of the fish and loafs reveals much about the character of God: His compassion to feed so many, His respect for the one who is poor and gives all, His power to meet every need?  Do you see any other qualities in this passage?  Which one are you most grateful for in your current circumstances? 

 

4.     The people want to force Jesus to rule over them.  Why do you think that is?  It’s possible to enjoy Jesus for the blessings He gives without seeing the work He’s really about.  He will come again and rule as king, but in these last days, He rules a spiritual kingdom.  How often do you struggle for seeking God only for what He can give you vs submitting to His work in your life that at times doesn’t feel pleasant?  

 

5.     Though most of our passage was focused on the feeding of the people, John includes a few verses of the power of Jesus walking on the water.  In verse 20, Jesus says “It is I; do not be afraid.”  In the Greek the phrase ego eimi is literally translated “I am who I am” and is the same phrase used in Exodus 3:14 where God gives his divine name.  One who is self-existent, doesn’t change as He is already perfect, and eternal.  He says this to his disciples as he is standing in the water, in a storm, outside of a boat.  God is holy, so different than us and often in our day-to-day lives we miss His awesome power.  Think on Him as the great I AM.  How can you bring this view of God into your relationship with Him? 

 

Closing Prayer

God I need Your divine attributes to be at work within me.  I am not able to do what You call me to on my own.  I want to build up others around me but am weak and lost without Your strength. I am only a vessel and You are raw power.  I give myself to You as a conduit of divine intervention.  Use me as I humble myself before You.  Let me rely on You and see You at work and be grateful that You choose to use me as Your hands and feet.  When You test me, let me always trust in You first and see my lack and Your provision.  I worship who You are-Your care for others and ability to make something out of nothing overwhelms me.  You are sovereign over every earthy power as You are the Creator and Sustainer of all things.  I seek You for Your otherness from me from me and desire to give you everything out of my nothing.  I see the difference between us so clearly. You ask me not to be afraid and want to get into the boat with me when life’s storms come.  Your presence comforts me. 

 

Continue praying personally to the Lord with what He showed you during mediation and reflection.  



[1] John 21

[2] Matthew 28:19

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study Introduction: Developing a Ministry of Reconciliation

Devotional: Balance

Christmas: The Promises of God