John: Can I Get A Witness?

  


 

 

Orient John 5:30-47

Jesus continues His discourse to the Pharisees after his healing of the invalid on the Sabbath.  In this last section of that dialog, He shows that His work was “legal” because He and the Father are one and do the same things.  This week, Jesus presents witnesses who validate the truth of His words.  Like a courtroom trial, He logically walks through evidence that shows His words can be trusted.

 

Introduction

I have never had jury duty.  I vote every time I’m able, yet have never been selected to sit on a trial of any duration.  I think I would enjoy the experience because I love the tension of court room scenario movies and books.  Most dramas with this theme tend to climax at certain point where a key witness gives expert testimony, undeniable proof about the guilt or innocence of the accused.  Even better if the opposing counsel is blindsided and justice is served!  Many scenes start out this expert testimony swearing on the Bible. It made me wonder, is this still standard practice?  I learned that swearing your sincerity on the Bible is still an option in the US court system, or you can make a personal affirmation of your intent to testify. Jesus also appeals to Scripture to make His testimony trustworthy.  In this week’s reading, Jesus presents additional witnesses to the court of religious-opinion: John the Baptist, the Father, and His miracles. 

 

Opening Prayer

Open my ears to hear from You today Lord.  I want to be fully convinced that I can trust Your words.  Let me understand Your arguments why You should be my highest authority.  Illuminate my mind, let Your word abide in me, and let me believe in You as the Sent One, worthy and able to share truth with me. I want to search these Scriptures and see You clearly, confirming my access into Your eternal life.  Amen

 

Meditation

Read and reread the following passage, taking God’s word in deeply.  As you do be sensitive to a phrase or verse the Holy Spirit emphasizes to you personally. 

 

30 By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.

 

31 “If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true. 32 There is another who testifies in my favor, and I know that his testimony about me is true.

 

33 “You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth. 34 Not that I accept human testimony; but I mention it that you may be saved. 35 John was a lamp that burned and gave light, and you chose for a time to enjoy his light.

 

36 “I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the works that the Father has given me to finish—the very works that I am doing—testify that the Father has sent me. 37 And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, 38 nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. 39 You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

 

41 “I do not accept glory from human beings, 42 but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts. 43 I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. 44 How can you believe since you accept glory from one another but do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?

45 “But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set. 46 If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. 47 But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?”

 

 

Paraphrase

Rewrite the phrase or verse that the Holy Spirit highlighted during meditation.  What is your take away? 

 

Reflect

1.     Though it might be easy to judge the Pharisees, we often act like them.  We put Jesus on trial and show by our words/actions that we actually believe our version of things than His?  Are you convinced that Jesus is who He says He is and that what He says is true? 

 

2.     In this passage, Jesus shares multiple witnesses that prove He is telling the truth.  Which one convinces you most that Jesus is who He says He is? What does Jesus say in this passage about what man tends to believe over His witnesses? 

 

3.     As a Bible study teacher, I love verse 39!  It shows there is a right and a wrong way to do Bible study.  Many people see the Bible as a book about them, a “to do” manual, or the keys to having their best life.  Instead Jesus reminds us that it is a book about Him! When you read the bible, do you struggle to see Jesus?  How could you remind yourself to look for Him first during your devotional time? 

 

4.     Something that stands out to me as I read this passage is that people claim they want life, but refuse to accept it (v40).  No matter how many witnesses are presented, Jesus wraps up with saying that if you don’t believe the witnesses, they why believe Him?   Scripture, the Father, the testimony of John the Baptist, and the miracles Jesus did all point to who He is.  If you haven’t come to faith in Christ yet, what are you waiting for? 

 

Closing Prayer

Jesus, I want to trust Your words.  Let me have faith in You by what You’ve shown me about you.  Open my eyes to see evidence of Your trustworthiness.  Let me know trust in my own wisdom or seek my own glory.  When I come to Your word I want to see you on each page.  Let my study time give me the life You promise me.   

 

Continue praying personally to the Lord with what He showed you during mediation and reflection.  

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study Introduction: Developing a Ministry of Reconciliation

Devotional: Balance

Christmas: The Promises of God