John-Signs and Wonders

  

 

 

Orient John 4:43-54 

Today’s passage is a narrative account of Jesus’ 2nd major sign to show He was the Messiah.  The setting happens in Cana, getting us to reflect on the first miracle.  Rounding out his encounters with non-believers in chapters 3-4, this time Jesus interacts with a third “type,” a Gentile official.  Unlike Nicodemus or the woman at the well, this official represents someone outside religion who is a political figure, an oppressor of the Jews.  We see the theme of John stated clearly in verse 48 tying the miracles of Jesus to show the truth of His words.  

 

Introduction

Over my years in ministry, I’ve encountered people who were desperate for a miracle.  A few years ago, an acquaintance started asking about how to pray.  In finding out more about her situation, I discovered her husband had left her and she wanted to understand how to get what she wanted from God.  Instead of seeing her need for forgiveness for sin, she saw God as a genie-in-a-bottle and though I might know the right words to say to get her husband back.  While reading today’s passage, that encounter crossed my mind.  The man in today’s story is also desperate and willing to do whatever it takes, including humbling himself to a Jewish rabbi, to heal his son.  Yet Jesus does not turn Him away.

 

Opening Prayer

Jesus, I welcome and honor to You.  Help me see you for more than a miracle worker.  Let me believe Your words to me and speak to me personally.  You are the giver of life and I need your promise of life spoken over me.  I want to be well.  Amen 

 

Meditation

Read and reread the following passage, taking God’s word in deeply.  As you do be sensitive to a phrase or verse the Holy Spirit emphasizes to you personally. 


43 After the two days he departed for Galilee. 44 (For Jesus himself had testified that a prophet has no honor in his own hometown.) 45 So when he came to Galilee, the Galileans welcomed him, having seen all that he had done in Jerusalem at the feast. For they too had gone to the feast.

46 So he came again to Cana in Galilee, where he had made the water wine. And at Capernaum there was an official whose son was ill. 47 When this man heard that Jesus had come from Judea to Galilee, he went to him and asked him to come down and heal his son, for he was at the point of death. 48 So Jesus said to him, “Unless you see signs and wonders you will not believe.” 49 The official said to him, “Sir, come down before my child dies.” 50 Jesus said to him, “Go; your son will live.” The man believed the word that Jesus spoke to him and went on his way. 51 As he was going down, his servants
met him and told him that his son was recovering.
 52 So he asked them the hour when he began to get better, and they said to him, “Yesterday at the seventh hour the fever left him.” 53 The father knew that was the hour when Jesus had said to him, “Your son will live.” And he himself believed, and all his household. 54 This was now the second sign that Jesus did when he had come from Judea to Galilee.

 

Paraphrase

Rewrite the phrase or verse that the Holy Spirit highlighted during meditation.  What is your take away? 

 

Reflect

1.     Even though Jesus did not receive honor in his hometown, as the people there knew were skeptical of His new reputation knowing Him in His youth, they welcomed Him because of His miracles.  Their interest in Him was superficial.  They wanted a display of His power and not His Lordship.  Are there times you seek Jesus for what He can give you?  

 

2.     This section of scripture contains an interesting contrast.  Though the first few verses discourage us from seeking the things Jesus for the things He can give, it acknowledges times in life where there is no one but Him to meet our needs.  Jesus answer’s the officials request.  Is there something you are desperate for but feel like you have to do it on your own?  Is your pride keeping you from asking Jesus to rescue? 

 

 

3.     Verse 48 is a thematic statement about the purpose of John’s gospel and it is also clarity around the omniscience of Christ in knowing every heart.  He knows what we need to believe.  Doubt is a natural part of coming to faith and is even present after receiving Christ.  Take heart!  He knows what you need to trust in Him.  If you are struggling, ask your questions and see how He answers.  Look with expectation as He wants your faith to grow more than you do. 

 

4.     This story shows the power of Christ to give life.  Later in John we will read about Lazarus and even Christ’s own resurrection as evidence of His command and victory over death.  Our world, now 2 years past the pandemic’s emergence, is still so afraid of mortality.  Though I want physical health for myself and my friends/family, I have so much more to hope in than life in this world.  If you have never entrusted yourself to Jesus, He is waiting to give you that same confidence.  If you have faith, but are still living in fear, try meditating on the life Jesus gives to all who believe in Him.  

 

 

5.     The first miracle Jesus performed also happened in Cana-turning water into wine.  We learn in this motif that Jesus works in joy or pain.  Whatever your circumstances He is with you and is powerful. Think about a joyful time God worked in your life and a time of suffering.  Thank Him for His work.  Let it give you confidence for things to come this year. 

 

6.     The official went from believing Jesus had power to believing Jesus was the Savior.  From desperation to confident trust in who Jesus said He was.  The biggest miracle in this story is not the son’s healing, but that an entire family came to know Christ personally and have eternal life, not temporary healing.  Are you someone who has seen the signs and working of Christ but have failed to believe He can be more? 

 

Closing Prayer

Jesus, you are more than just giver of good gifts, but God Almighty.  Let me come to you because you are holy and not just because of what You can give me.  Yet there are times I need you desperately.  In those moments, let me give you every care in humility.  When I doubt strengthen my faith.  You know what my heart needs to believe in You.  You are the giver of life and one word from You can change my path.  Let me intercede in faith for those around me, trusting in Your power and willingness to heal.  Give me courage, to look past the temporal and into the eternal.  You are with me in times of celebration and times of grieving, in prosperity and lack, you are always there.  Let me see you working in all my circumstances.  Even when I don’t have everything I want, I have salvation in You.  Let that always satisfy me.  

 

Continue praying personally to the Lord with what He showed you during mediation and reflection.  

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study Introduction: Developing a Ministry of Reconciliation

Devotional: Balance

Christmas: The Promises of God