John-Joy in Glory

  


 

 

Orient

Today’s passage falls into a larger section of John that we will be in for many months as it encompasses nearly half the book.  In it, John outlines the seven major signs used by John to show that Jesus is the Messiah beginning with the first sign shared in today’s reading.  His purpose in highlighting these miraculous works to prove the deity of Christ[1].  

 

This passage also contains some text complexity in the form of symbolism: wine for joy, ceremonial jars to represent purity, and a wedding motif reminding us He is the bridegroom as we are His bride.  Another difficulty is the dialog between Jesus and His mother Mary.  Further study will show based on cultural and translation challenges that the dialog is respectful and defines their new relationship, yet this is not obvious based on surface-level reading.  

 

Introduction

The first of something is always special.  Many parents buy baby books to record these firsts: words, steps, lost teeth.  Though many more will follow as a child grows, it’s a sacred moment to behold the first time an event occurs.  Our reading today brings that same sense of excitement.  As John shares the first miracle of Jesus, let’s read with the anticipation of reliving the first time Jesus made His glory manifest and deity known.  

 

Opening Prayer

Jesus, as I read today, let me behold Your glory.  I come to Your words today ready to behold Your power and abundant giving.  Like Mary, let me live waiting to see what You will do.  Like the disciples, let my faith in You grow.  Like the servants, let me be in awe of you.  Let this time I spend with you increase my joy.  Amen

 

Meditation

Read and reread the following passage, taking God’s word in deeply.  As you do be sensitive to a phrase or verse the Holy Spirit emphasizes to you personally. 

 

John 2:1-12 (ESV)

On the third day there was a wedding at Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Jesus also was invited to the wedding with his disciples. When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to him, They have no wine. And Jesus said to her, Woman, what does this have to do with me? My hour has not yet come. His mother said to the servants, Do whatever he tells you.

Now there were six stone water jars there for the Jewish rites of purification, each holding twenty or thirty gallons. Jesus said to the servants, Fill the jars with water. And they filled them up to the brim. And he said to them, Now draw some out and take it to the master of the feast. So they took it. When the master of the feast tasted the water now become wine, and did not know where it came from (though the servants who had drawn the water knew), the master of the feast called the bridegroom 10 and said to him, Everyone serves the good wine first, and when people have drunk freely, then the poor wine. But you have kept the good wine until now. 11 This, the first of his signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee, and manifested his glory. And his disciples believed in him.

12 After this he went down to Capernaum, with his mother and his brothers and his disciples, and they stayed there for a few days.

Paraphrase

Rewrite the phrase or verse that the Holy Spirit highlighted during meditation.  What is your take away? 

 

Reflect

1.     The first miracle occurred at a wedding.  Jesus was an invited guest along with His family.  He must have known the bride and groom well to have his disciples also be welcome to this week-long party.  He went with the intention of celebrating with His friends.  How often do you think of Jesus wanting to be part of life’s big moments with you?  How can you invite Him into the big and small things that you enjoy? 

 

2.     Mary’s advice to the servants was “do whatever he tells you[2].”  This advice is just as good for us today as it was for the waitstaff at the wedding.  For the Christian, we praise Jesus as Lord.  This means He is in charge of our life.  What questions do you currently need guidance on?  Are you searching the word of God, the words of Jesus to find out what to do? 

 

3.     The servants didn’t just fill the jars with water, but filled them to the brim[3]!  What’s interesting is they did this before witnessing the miracle of water turned to wine.  There obedience was complete before knowing what Jesus was capable of.  This action on their part puts me to shame, as I often obey half-heartedly when I’ve seen Jesus work before on my behalf.  In what ways in life is your obedience complete?  What areas require an all-in? 

 

4.     God our Father is the giver of every perfect gift[4].  Psalm 104:14-15 reminds us that He makes all creation produce for our sustenance, as well as giving wine for our joy (and cosmetics for our face to shine…couldn’t resist that one!).  The wine Jesus made tastes better than what was served first and was overabundant, around 180 gallons.  When Jesus gives a gift, it is superior in quality and exceeds our need.  Spend some time thinking of the blessings He has poured into your life and how they are far more than what you deserve. 

 

5.     After seeing the water-to-wine transformation, His disciples believed in Him[5].  We know from the previous passage, that they believed before seeing this miracle so we could say that their faith in Him increased.  The more time we spend with Jesus the more we will see His power displayed.  Think about the time you are spending with Him?  Is it regular or sporadic?  Is it a priority or an afterthought? What tweeks do you need to make to this habit?  The benefit to time with Jesus is like the disciples, growing faith.   

 

 

Closing Prayer

Jesus, I just want to be with You.  I invite You into my life to be with me, to celebrate with me, so You can see the joy you give me, just by Your mere presence.  I pray that You enjoy seeing me partake in all Your many blessings.  You are my Lord and You are in charge.  Today I submit myself once again to You in all things. Let me obey You, trusting in You to provide and know what is best.  Show me the areas in my life where I haven’t done exactly what You said.  Then give me the strength to live out Your words to me.  I praise You because You have given me undeserved favor.  What You provide satisfies and never runs out.  Spirit, prompt me to spend time with You.  I want to believe in Jesus more and more.  I know time in your presence Father will make my faith grow.  

 

Continue praying personally to the Lord with what He showed you during mediation and reflection.  

 

 

 



[1] John 2:11

[2] v. 5

[3] v. 7

[4] James 1:17

[5] v. 11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study Introduction: Developing a Ministry of Reconciliation

Devotional: Balance

Christmas: The Promises of God