John-Behold the Lamb

  


 

 

Orient

The prologue concluded, John begins a new section which we will be in for the first half of the book, proving who Jesus is through signs and testimony.  In this section, he introduces John the Baptist (different than the John who wrote this book).  We see 2 main ideas emerge: first ,where John is identified as the forerunner to herald the Christ and secondly, where he gives his testimony to who Christ is.  

 

Introduction

Often when meeting people for the first time, a safe question to ask is “what do you do?” as if somehow their job defines a crucial aspect of who they are as a person.  In the passage we are about to read, a major character in the story of Jesus is introduced-John the Baptist.  Yet those sent to learn more about John did not come in a curious and friendly manner.  Instead, they were sent to find out if he might be the Messiah.  In the very beginning of our passage, John does not mince words.  He takes no credit for being Jesus and making more of himself, but instead shares that he is simply yet profoundly a voice proclaiming that He is coming.  

 

Opening Prayer

Lord, as I come to You this morning, let me reflect on who You are to me.  I may feel unworthy but you have taken away my sin.  Holy Spirit, you reside in me because I am baptized with you by Jesus. Come into this space as I meditate on the words of God to me today.  Show me what I need to carry with me, to change me, to comfort me.  Amen. 

 

Meditation

Read and reread the following passage, taking God’s word in deeply.  As you do be sensitive to a phrase or verse the Holy Spirit emphasizes to you personally. 

 

John 1:19-34 (ESV)

19 And this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, Who are you? 20 He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, I am not the Christ.21 And they asked him, What then? Are you Elijah? He said, I am not. Are you the Prophet? And he answered, No. 22 So they said to him, Who are you? We need to give an answer to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself? 23 He said, I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as the prophet Isaiah said.

24 (Now they had been sent from the Pharisees.) 25 They asked him, Then why are you baptizing, if you are neither the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet? 26 John answered them, I baptize with water, but among you stands one you do not know, 27 even he who comes after me, the strap of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie. 28 These things took place in Bethany across the Jordan, where John was baptizing.

29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!30 This is he of whom I said, After me comes a man who ranks before me, because he was before me. 31 I myself did not know him, but for this purpose I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to Israel. 32 And John bore witness: I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. 33 I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit. 34 And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God.


Paraphrase

Rewrite the phrase or verse that the Holy Spirit highlighted during meditation.  What is your take away? 

 

Reflect

1.     My entire life, I have struggled with co-dependency- the attempt to save others and be their functional savior.  What strikes me right away about John’s testimony in verse 20 is that he knows He is not Jesus, not the Savior.  Instead, he gives true rescue by pointing them to Jesus.  What ways have you tried to save people or trusted in your own abilities to help instead of pointing others toward God? 

 

2.     As I read this section, something that stands out is the humility of John.  In everything he shares about Christ, the preeminence of Jesus is clear.  In verse 27, John mentions that he is not worthy to untie the strap of Christ’s sandal.  Knowing a bit about the culture will drive the significance of that statement home.  First off, roads were dusty and travelers did not wear socks, leaving very dirty feet.  Secondly, instead of higher education, those wanting to learn about the scriptures adopted a teacher and became his aid, and would do everything for him except, wash his feet.  That task was reserved only for servants. Because of the road conditions, it was common to have your feet washed before a meal.  By saying he is not worthy to untie the Coming One’s sandal, John is saying he does not even deserve to be a slave of Christ.  How often do we serve, realizing that no matter how important we perceive our role in His kingdom to be, that we are not worthy of it? 

 

3.     Instead of saying who he is, John shares his purpose.  As the forerunner, He would share who Jesus was before He came.  Sometimes we have to fulfill our purpose before seeing more of Christ.  What is God calling you to do?  Are you walking in obedience to that?  A fruit of that faithfulness may be a closer and deeper walk with God for those who love Him do He commands[1]

 

4.     This passage reveals our deepest need.  Since March 2020, we have been living in a world obsessed with protecting physical life yet many are blind to the fact that they are spiritually dead.  The wages of sin are death and eternally separate you from God[2].  We need a mediator, a substitute who can reconcile us to God[3]. The Lamb of God takes away the sins of the world[4].  If you’ve never personally accepted the sacrifice of Christ will you ask Him now for His atoning life by confessing your sin?  If you have, reflect on His sacrifice for you and thank Him for it.  Consider in prayer who you might tell about the Lamb of God and what He has done for them.  

 

 

 

Closing Prayer

Jesus, thank you for saving me and meeting my deepest needs, filling me with eternal life through your sacrifice.  You are the one who saves, not me.  As I live in this broken and hurting world, let me point others to you.  Show me who needs to hear your message of freedom from sin.  Let me fulfill the purpose you have given me in humility, remembering your Holy Spirit empowers me as I faithfully serve you.  

 

Continue praying personally to the Lord with what He showed you during mediation and reflection.  

 

 

 



[1] John 14:15

[2] Romans 6:23; Isiah 59:2

[3] Romans 5:10, 2 Corinthians 5:18

[4] v.29

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Study Introduction: Developing a Ministry of Reconciliation

Devotional: Balance

Christmas: The Promises of God