His Holy Priests


What does a priesthood do? When I first read this verse, I thought that meant I pictured myself dressed like one of the archeologists from Indiana Jones before they opened the ark's lid and the spirits came out.  Or maybe like a monk in with a rough homespun and wooden cross with beads.  The images I had when reading this about myself were more about pop culture than any real understanding of what a priest actually does.  Not growing up Jewish, when God tells me I am his holy priest I'm not exactly sure what a priest does.  Here are some things I found out when I studied this passage:

 

*The Old Testament priest:

 

They are elect- The priests come from a family called the Levites, whom God chose as one of the tribes of Israel to serve him.  They didn't inherit their own tracks of land, when Joshua divided the land among the Israelites, but instead inherited cities and pasturelands within every tribe so they could minister to the Lord.  Their inheritance was their ability to minister to the lord.  

 

Their sin was cleansed- Before they could minister in the temple, they had to be cleansed with water, a symbolic way to show they were doing all they could do to stand before a holy God. 

 

They wore special clothing-Like my imagery upon first reading this verse, the priests did wear special garments, as instructed by the Lord-a sash, ephod, breast piece with some dice to roll to determine the will of God, a turban, etc. 

 

They were anointed- After using oil to sprinkle the temple, the alter, it's utensils and basin, some went on the priests’ head, consecrating him for service.  

 

They were prepared-The priests had to sit at the entrance of the tent for seven days and nights before presenting their sacrifice to the Lord, to be made worthy to minister to Him. 

 

They were guidance on how to worship- Many people when reading through bible, get to chapters like Judges 29, where page upon page of specific instructions on how to worship God were listed.  Eli's sons were struck down when offering fire in disregard of the Lord's instructions (Leviticus 10).

 

Their role was to intercede for their people- By offering the blood of animals, along with the other sacrifices they were commanded to perform, they were a mediator for the people to God.  

 

Their special privilege was access to God- Not everyone got to serve in the temple, as we've learned above, you first had to be born into the right tribe and then go through the ordination to be executable to God.

 

What's your reaction when you study this?  For me it was a gratitude that I don't have to do all this work to worship God.  It was all done for me by Jesus.

 

For since the law has but a shadow of the good things to come instead of the true form of these realities, it can never, by the same sacrifices that are continually offered every year, make perfect those who draw near. Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered, since the worshipers, having once been cleansed, would no longer have any consciousness of sins? But in these sacrifices, there is a reminder of sins every year. For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

 

Consequently, when Christ came into the world, he said,

 

         “Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired,

                   but a body have you prepared for me;

         in burnt offerings and sin offerings

                   you have taken no pleasure.

         Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come to do your will, O God,

                   as it is written of me in the scroll of the book.’” (Hebrews 10:1-7)

 

What joy fills my heart as I consider weigh what the sacrifice of Jesus accomplished for me.  Not often do I understand how holy God is and how much work it was to come before Him.  He truly made a better way for me.  In Christ I get the same privilege's as the Old Testament priest but with a heart that can come before King Jesus without fear. 

 

 

 

Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Hebrews 10:19-22

 

I am elect, chosen by God to be his daughter.  I am cleansed, the blood of Christ takes away every past, present and future sin.  I am clothed for service in his coming kingdom by the righteousness of Christ.  I am anointed by the same tongues of fire that fell at Pentecost on those that prayed in the upper room, waiting for the Helper that Jesus had promised them.  I am prepared for good works for my Father and ordained to obedience.  As Galatians 5:13 reminder me my freedom is not an opportunity to serve the flesh, the passions that war in my soul, but offer myself willingly every day to serve my majestic God with the works He's prepared for me.  We have been given a ministry of reconciliation (2 Cor 5) to bring people far from God, near to him as we proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called us out of darkness into light (1 Peter 2:9).  Yet our great joy is full access to God anywhere, at any time, 

 

 

Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Hebrews 10:19-22

 

 

 

That is why a few verses later in 1 Peter (v.7) we read that it is an honor for those who believe.  We have been blessed beyond measure by the new and living way Christ has given us access to God.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

*consult Leviticus 8 for a lot of information about priests from the Old Testament and read the book of Hebrews to find out more about how Jesus fulfills the requirements of the law for us

 

Comments

Popular Posts