The Joy of Christmas





The Joy of Christmas

Christmas is all about joy.  Every commercial venue is selling this emotion; from model’s poses on a website selling sweaters to the latest Hallmark movie, there is an expectation in the air that life will make sense, our relationships will finally come together, and we will feel light and free, our souls wrapped in incandescent light.  In dropping off my son at a sleepover last night, my girlfriend recounted how busy she’d been shopping, how much she still had to do, and how her New Year’s party wasn’t turning out like she hopped.  I appreciated her honesty.  So many of us put on a happy face this time of year and get through the holidays, thinking that maybe that next tradition will give us the pick me up we are looking for. 

I’m guilty of the perpetuating the deception of Christmas cheer.  Last night was my work holiday party.  The whole week had been filled with heaviness.  Some colleagues were experiencing illness and losing parents; my coworkers had been gifting in a secret Santa exchange while life had been handing out its own set of malevolent gifts. On top of that, through a series of stressful circumstances and miscommunication the night before, my husband and I were not in a good place and hadn’t had time to reconnect before I had to rush to the party.    

What I truly wanted was to be at home watching Friends before it goes off Netfix in January (this is a public service announcement…you’ve already taken The Office, what’s next!!!). Instead I was surrounded by people I truly care about who were having good time while I felt like the biggest fake.  I tried to make small talk with a solo cup filled with tap water, but I just wasn’t feeling it.  I shared my appreciation with the host and slipped out the door leaving my cookies.  I could have spent time with the Lord when I got home, but instead decided to watch season 4 where Chandler flies to Yemen because he accidentally runs into Janice at the nail salon and can’t face breaking up with her for the 6th time.  

I’m afraid to break up with Christmas joy.  I’d rather pretend everything is okay and join in on all the festivities because it’s expected from me.  It’s easier than bringing everyone down in the time of year where you crave happiness.  You want what’s promised to be true-- to give the perfect gift, make memories with special people, and let a moment in time carry you with some hope into the new year.  But have you noticed that life doesn’t work that way? That precisely at the moment when you are striving at perfection that something you can’t control goes wrong.  You are left picking up the pieces and figuring out how to respond.  Like me, you can pretend or avoid the situation but that doesn’t really help.  I know better but we don’t always take our own advice.  

Ironically in another writing project I’m working on, I’m detailing the characteristics of God and midchapter have been explaining His all-sufficient nature.  He is the source of all that I lack.  His vibrant recourses know no end and He gladly supplies me with everything that I need.  He wants to give generously so I feel no shame in my asking.  This is all achieved for me in the work of Christ, who left his glory to put on human skin.  Because He came to be with me, I have all I need.  And He came because of joy.  Hebrews 12:2 says that for the joy set before Him, He endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the Father.  The choice set before Him was to experience all human suffering to have so I could have an eternal relationship with Him and be who He created me to be without the vestige of sin.  He grew up among our kind in humility, experiencing life from our perspective.  He began in vulnerability, born to a teenage girl with no power or human acclaim and a stepdad who wanted to break off the engagement.  

That is what Christmas is—not decorated trees, carols and cookies but being vulnerable for the sake of relationship.  Though the party last night wasn’t the place to share what was in my heart, God was waiting. Angles declare it and my heart knows that the glory of man has come and waits for me to take hold of all He has given for me.  Will I receive that gift this Christmas or chase after something that man has counterfeited?  Will I behold the living Christ or simply put the nativity up on my mantel?  To experience Christmas is not to participate in the traditions of man but to allow the only One who can bring goodness into my story to do His work in me. 

May you choose this season times of authentic encounters with Jesus and be filled with joy that can’t be taken away and defies every circumstance you face. He is waiting in a manger for you to worship.  Let us never forget He alone is the gift.

Comments

Popular Posts