Multiplied Seed



He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God. For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God. By their approval of this service, they will glorify God because of your submission that comes from your confession of the gospel of Christ, and the generosity of your contribution for them and for all others, while they long for you and pray for you, because of the surpassing grace of God upon you. Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift!  2 Corinthians 9:10-15.  

I've been thinking a lot about planting lately. It is late spring in the northwest and all the plants still have enough of the rain to grow and hot temps haven't hit yet.  This leaves the flowers with a in an optimal environment for growth.  Sustained with a steady stream of heat and consistent water, the blossoms are lush and almost cheerful as they exude vibrant color.  

I'm enjoying the fruit of what was planted as the annuals and perennials unfurl around me.  Their simple beauty is a constant reminder of God's glory.  Like the floral tones that paint my world, I can sew seeds of beauty in the lives of others, leaving traces of God's redeeming work for others to behold.  

Ahead of me is a new endeavor.  Starting in the fall, I will be serving in a local women's ministry, writing content for their blog and other resources for women to take further concepts from the previous event. If you are one of my regular readers, you probably know that the content I produce is sporadic at best and I typically write as God puts something on my heart to share.  Maybe that's why writing for me is "fun" because I do it for the joy of it without having deadlines.  I'm already anticipating writers block!  As soon as I found out I'd been given this opportunity, after the excitement had passed, fear started to creep in.  Isn't that just like our enemy-to attempt to taint from the very beginning the work God has prepared for us to do (Ephesians 2:10)!

In my daily reading today, I read these words and was instantly encouraged.  The context of this passage in 2 Corinthians was regarding a collection Paul was coordinating for the Jerusalem believers.  If they gave generously, God would supply their needs as well.  Though the original letter  discusses material needs, Jesus also uses seeds in His parable of the sewer to show that seeds can symbolic of spiritual fruit and the harvest the word of God produces in peoples' lives (Luke 8:11).  

The resources for the work that God has for me, and for you, will be generously supplied by Him.  The things we need to sow for others will not only be provided, but multiplied and our harvest will be increased.  Like the boy that offered Jesus his fish and loaves (Mark 6:42), all will eat and be satisfied.  For we are enriched to be generous.  This is just as true about our time and spiritual maturity as well as our possessions.  

I've been convicted lately of my responsibility to give to others out of what I have received.  I admit that I often just enjoy receiving from the Lord and instead of sharing it with others keep it to myself.  Have I called that friend and given her encouragement?  Have I written on my blog in awhile to share what I'm learning with others?  Am I leveraging my knowledge and gifting to build up those in the kingdom of God or enjoying all it's blessings for myself? 

When we offer what we have, we will be discouraged at every step.  Dear readers I have learned that this is actually an indication that I am on the right path when I can determine that I'm encountering doubt, fear, or anxiety.  Those are attacks from the kingdom of darkness that wants to stop God from using you and bringing more of His kingdom to earth.  Instead in those moments do something that brings you back to the truth that has been revealed instead of heeding the inner voices.  

In the next chapter of this book, Paul will instruct the Corinthians to demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5).  Taking thoughts captive is being aware of your thoughts and when what you are thinking/hearing isn't aligned with the voice of God that you know to be true.  It's a good idea to practice habits that bring truth in, reading your bible, spending time in fellowship with other believers who give you good advice, reading my blog 😉.    In the end, trusting that God will supply what you need to serve Him and shutting down the roadblocks along the way with truth will cause thanksgiving to overflow...and that's a gift I'm ready to receive! 




Comments

Popular Posts