Holding Our Gaze

From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.  Psalm 61:1-3

What is effective prayer?  That has been a thought in my mind since starting this series.  Is it a prayer that gives you the outcome you desire?  Is it a prayer that makes you feel the presence of God and that He's listening?  Is it a prayer that brings peace in the face of turmoil or courage in the face of fear?

I have sat through many sermons that tell I should pray and read books on it's importance.  I've read verses in the Bible like pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17) and agree that biblically it's important.  I am on board!  I agree yes, I need to and I even do it as a common practice but it's hard to learn how to pray or know if my prayers matter and are making a difference.  I'm so grateful for biblical examples and great teaching on the subject, but the fact remains that to get "better" at praying--whatever that means, I'm still figuring out-- is just doing it.  So first big revelation: do it!  Want to grow in prayer, pray!  It stands to reason that simple principal holds true for anything in life that we want to improve on.

I hate having to use terms as I write to describe prayer as something we can get better at because one might think I'm claiming to have a magic formula to get things from God.  I think that shows a misconception about why we pray.  Prayer is just talking to God, having a conversation in fact where we speak and we hear from Him as well.  Not in a audible voice, though others like Moses who heard his voice as an angel of the Lord appeared in a burning bush may experience those interactions (Exodus 3: 2), but an inner knowing if we listen.  So we don't pray just to get, but to relate.  Prayer is a way to connect relationally to God.  I wouldn't have much of a relationship with someone if all our communication involved asking for things or apologizing.  That's not much of a friendship at all!  It feels more like chain of command within an organization.

So to have a better prayer life to me means how can I become more effective about connecting with God.  Much like people go to a counselor to grow in their relationship skills, I do think there are things we can do to experience greater communion with God in the context of prayer.  The book I'm reading that is helping me take these concepts deeper in my own life is Moving Mountains by John Eldredge. I intend to share that source each week so not to plagiarize his ideas and also to share this resource for those unfamiliar with the book.

In reading, I'm realigned to an important premise of prayer: the need to express emotions to the Lord as I talk with Him.  Are your prayers careful?  Do you approach God feeling like you need to choose your words before you speak?  Do you understand that all that is in your heart is already fully known (1 Samuel 16:7)?  I find when I pray with the walls down, inviting God to accept my real feelings, the ones He in face already knows, my prayers are most real and authentic.  Compare it to small talk at a party.  When meeting someone for the first time, your conversation hovers around safe topics: the weather, sports, work.  Now think of that person that you can be with and say anything to, unhindered!  Which conversation leaves you feeling more connected, known and understood.  Of course your good friend!  The one who knows you well  and you trust will continue to love you no matter what is said in needing to vent in the moment.  I am lucky to have good friends like that in my life and dear reader I hope you do too!  What confort it is to know that God is a good friend to us, wanting us to pour out our feelings to Him, knowing He will always accept and love us no matter where we are at.  There is a danger here too, that emotions may unintentionally cause us to make agreements with lies.

The reality of spiritual warfare puts a new lens on all aspects of our Christian life, including prayer. As I am in the last days, the time between Jesus' accession and his return, mean that my enemy is still roaming the earth (1 Peter 5:8).  The battles I face as a believer often have to do with the spiritual realm, the forces against me that are hard to see with physical eyes.  Ephesians 6:12 talks about the battle we often face internally and spiritually.  We must bring this reality to prayer and know that anytime we choose to commune with God it's a place to get help in this struggle.  When circumstances in our life bring us to pray, when the emotions flow, we must be careful to not let our feelings become falsehoods, the term agreements I used above.  In relating to the opposition we face, it is tempting to let our feelings become lies.  When I feel lonely I should tell God I am lonely but not convince myself I am alone because God tells me He is always with me (Joshua 1:5).  So pour out your heart!  Express yourself to God!  He can handle and wants to heal and bring peace to all that is in your heart.  At the same time, be aware that it is helpful to not let your feelings have the final word.  Instead, open your inner being to God and focus on the truth of His emotional provision and presence.  Otherwise, it can leave us open to trouble in the form of doubt and discouragement.

Another thing that makes a huge difference in our prayers is our understanding of knowing who we are praying to and our relation to Him.  As I read Moving Mountains, I've reaffirmed my view of God.  He is powerful, good, and loves me unconditionally.  Yes how often so  I realign myself to those truths before I start to pray?  As I've reflected, I've realized I don't doubt His power or His goodness, but I sometimes do struggle with wondering if He's always patient with me.  I know that this comes from messages I internalized as a child, as my earthly father did not have time for me.  In prayer, we may find that messages from our childhood unintentionally shape our view of God and we may approach our Heavenly Father a certain way because of it.  Though I know in my head God always has time for me, this message is working it's way into my heart.  In prayer I can reshape and confirm who God really is, His perfect and holy character! When I pray, I often need to make sure I'm remembering who God is before I get started as it changes the way I talk to Him.

Our identity in Christ also really matters.  Rereading the parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32) as my story, helped me to picture what it is like when I come to God as an orphan, a cast-off servant  and not a daughter. When I see myself as His daughter (the way the parable shows me He always sees me) I can pray differently.  With affection, with tenderness, with a confidence that comes from being family, never forsaken or separated.  When I have wandered from His side, He just wants me back so badly that he runs to meet me.  He strains to see me.  He throws a big party that I return and invites others to celebrate our reunion.  These God-pictures are earthy cinema as He never leaves me, but I'll admit sometime I don't abide, vine and branches (John 15:5).  As the hymn expresses through lyrical verse, prone to wander, oh I feel it, prone to leave the God I love. I'm the one who does the leaving, but returning, in prayer, as a daughter in His eyes and in mine!

Perhaps the way to pray with confidence, power, and authority isn't in the right words at all.  Could it be it's not a formula? Maybe it's having a heart- posture that is built around understanding more about who God is and who I am in Him.


Comments

Popular Posts