When Rocks Cry Out

A friend asked me today how I was doing and I said, "busy."  Cliche I know and I try to live in a way that prevents that from being my answer but it's so true right now.  This is coming from a teacher with one week left of school.  A teacher who is a mom with all the end of year actives her kids participate in as well.  I value the peace that comes from having an uncluttered mind and more often than not that is heavily influenced by my schedule.

I also had the gift of music in my life this weekend with great people.  The bridge to one of the songs we sang declares, "All the earth will shout your praise."  When I hear it, it reminds me of the verse in Luke where Jesus says that if they people don't praise him, the stones would cry out (19:40).
But as rich and as deep as that time was this weekend my soul needed a little more to counteract the season I'm in.  So I headed outside to find more solitude.

As I headed through sun-dappled trails, the birds above me sang their own song.  The air had it's own sweet perfume, heavy with the promise of the warm summer to come.  Beneath my feet, stray rocks, twigs, and spongy ground cushioned my steps as I soaked in the cool shade and pockets of warm sunlight.  Ahead and behind, the lyrical clink of my dogs metal collar told me she was close as she explored nooks and crannies of scent lost on me.  I tried to pray, started several times, but heard the soft nudge of the Spirit ask me to just be in this moment.  A moment of summer's first blooms and simplicity.  A place where the to-do list could fade into the distance.  Where narrow trails and uphill climbs open up my inside instead of slow me down.  Where the earth is echoing a majestic refrain of tranquility and joy.  It became an unspoken prayer--the subtle gift of the abundant beauty all around me.

I share this today hopeful that you  can find spaces to live the life of the unhurried and undistracted.  I write that with a sink full of dirty dishes, laundry that needs to be put away, emails to answer, new hire paperwork to complete for a new staff member tomorrow...see how easy it is to get back on the treadmill!  But choosing instead to let this moment linger and spend some time with you.  Let's encourage each other to not live a magazine-cover life...

Wishing you peace,
Rayna


Comments

Popular Posts