Deliberate Forgetting

They deliberately forgot that the Lord...2 Peter 3:5

My husband just came back from a trip to the store.  He, like many others, had some last minute gifts to get.  He was describing people in the parking lot, circling around, trying to find a space close to the store.  Long lines waiting to make a purchase; he said you could smell the stress in the air.  

We can relate to that feeling of anxiety as even the most proactive of us get in situations where we've take on too much or circumstances wheel us out of control.  

While reading this morning, I came across a phrase in 2 Peter that made me pause (those are always good because then  you know God is saying something to you...).  They deliberately forgot-sometimes our lack of focus is intentional.  We actually choose to go through live with the wrong perspective.  The truth is too painful. 

What's interesting is in our attempts to avoid pain, we remain stuck in it elsewhere. I don't know the story of everyone at the store today where my husband was shopping, but if he could sense that inner tension I'm sure it was quite palatable.  A group of people deliberately forgetting what Christmas was really about.

It makes me sad for two reasons: one because I am also sometimes that person, who doesn't make time for reflection and rest.  Also, because some people just don't know Him and how He rearranges lives just yet.  

I thank God for that phrase today in my reading today, using it to remind me that how I live and what I think about it to be intentional, that I need to remember.  Since hurt is inevitable, may I not be one to fill the space with distractions and try to forget it but instead let it pass through to experience quiet contentment 

Let me not forget but remember...remember that the Lord...
  • heals
  • saves
  • provides
  • loves
  • sees
  • knows
  • directs
  • beckons
  • restores
  • changes
  • cleans
and the big one...He comes!  He comes to us!  That is what makes Christmas sacred and perplexing.  He came in a most vulnerable frame because He couldn't leave us in lines worrying about food and preparations.  

As I'm typing this I hear what may be a squeaky tire outside my house.  My mind immediately thinks about that package we've been waiting for and hoping Macy isn't outside so the driver will get out and bring it in and if she is and he didn't leave it is the post office even open tomorrow and...

No my soul, remember He came.  And that is enough for me this Christmas and every other day...

Comments

Popular Posts