Wisdomfied part 19-Wealth and Poverty


Prepare Your Heart: Read Matthew 19:16-22.  Are you rich?  Do you grieve over what God asks you to give for his kingdom?



Today we are starting a new section of our study in wisdom in the Proverbs on economic well-being.  Today we will focus on wealth and poverty.  How would you define being rich today?  A millionaire?  A billionaire?  Making over $100,000 a year as a household?  Do you think you are rich or poor?   I live in America and would consider myself “middle class” based on my income and assets. Though I might not think of myself as a rich person, I really am when I compare myself to the rest of the world.  Here is statistics from 2010 that I got from this website: http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats:



80% of the world population lives on less than $10 a day.



That’s less that $300 dollars a month.  If you have extra food at the end of the day, you’re rich.  If you have savings accounts, you’re rich.  If you have a house with more than one room, you’re rich.  If you have a cell phone, you’re rich.  If you children have more than one pair of shoes, you’re rich.  If you go on vacation, anywhere, you are rich.  If you eat at a restaurant sometimes, you’re rich.  If you have cable, you’re rich.  If you have healthcare, you are rich.  If you have ice in your refrigerator, you are rich. Our definition of rich needs to be redefined. 



Again, are you rich?  If you are, how should that change your faith, the practical aspects of your Christian life? Today we look at issues of wealth and poverty in Proverbs.  As always read the following verses and make notes on what God shows you about this topic.



·         3:9,10

·         10:15

·         11:4,28

·         13:8

·         14:20

·         15:16

·         17:16

·         18:11,23

·         19:4,6,7

·         22:2,7

·         23:4,5

·         27,7

·         28:6,8,11,20-22



Now if this didn’t occur to you before, read this verses again and put your name where it says “the rich man.”  How does this change God’s commands for you of these verses? Is it always better to be rich?  This month my family was hit by many bills we weren’t expecting and through God’s provision we were able to pay them without going into debt.  Yet the worry and fear that situation brought about showed me that despite knowing better, despite my best intentions I trust in my money.  In Luke 16:13 Jesus says that we can’t serve God and wealth.  It might be time to pray and repent sister and be honest, who are you serving?  You can’t serve both.




Comments

Popular Posts