Devotion: Gleanings 2011

For those of you who have been with me for three studies so far, you know that I like to end my study with a reflections process I call gleanings, based off the biblical model of allowing the poor to going back through the harvest after it has been reaped to gather what is left.  I am poor in spirit and need spiritual food!  I always like to look back and review where I have been with God and what I’ve learned.  We are forgetful.  We like Israel have a “Red Sea” experience and praise him, then days later grumble and complain and daydream that where He is taking us is far worse than the garbage and slavery we left behind. 



I also have this habit as I finish a new journal, which I just did!  Timely as it’s the end of the year.  I read though it prayerfully, asking God to show me what I learned and any special words He needs to remind me of on the faith journey I’ve made so far.  Below I’ll list the things I noted in my new journal of the things that He brought to my attention:

·         Acts-those who teach must be able to teach truth and warn those of error (in Paul talking to the Ephesian elders)

·         5 parts of Bible time: read, study, memorize, meditate, hear taught.  I do well at reading and hearing sermons, I do study for this blog but desire a daily study time as well. 

·         Jim Hays (my pastor)-If He asks us to do something, He will provide the ability to do it.

·         Struggles with resting when there is busy work around the house to be done. 

·         Every day is a chance to deepen your character, demonstrate love, or depend on God.

·         Luke 16:10-unless you are faithful in small matters, you won’t’ be faithful in big ones

·         Purpose Driven Life pg. 50-to get us from being too attached to earth, God has allowed us to feel longings that will never be fulfilled

·         Romans 3-All have fallen short, sometimes it feels like I’m the only one and everybody else gets it, but that’s such a lie from the enemy, everyone feels like they are the only ones!

·         From my blog (Devotion: Public Enemy #1)-be willing to fight for joy! 

·         Books I read that I got lots of nuggets from: Intimate Issues: 21 Questions Christian Women Ask About Sex by Linda Dillow and Lorraine Pintus, One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp, Love & War by John & Staci Eldridge.

·         Psalm 38:15-I notice I tend to elevate my position when I don’t know people well instead of relying on God to exalt me

·         Strengthen Your Grip by Chuck Swindoll-What is urgent?  What is important?  Often we exchange the important for the urgent.  It is harder to see what is what will all the demands on our time…slow down and little and be intentional.  Time is the only currency we all have the same amount of.

·         1 Kings 10:9-I need to pray more for the city I live in. 

·         2 Chronicles 13:-12-Why do we fight against the Lord when we have no chance of winning?

·         June-huge transition, God starting to tear apart a Bible Study I’ve been a part of for 7 years, dear friends who have seen my kids born,  shared all of life together through the good and bad. 

·         Colossians 3:22-The importance of Sabbath rest…God didn’t rest because He was tired!  He did it because it was time to sit back and enjoy all that He had made.  Second time this made the list…think I need to get the message that I’m a workaholic and much too task oriented!

·         Galatians 6:10 –Do good to all people especially to the household of faith.  God used this verse to move me to consider teaching a Bible Study to women in our church…more about that later.



So where have I been this year?  Where do I need to go? It has been a huge year of transition.  Not just in moving into a new house, but seeing the importance of new relationships as God moves, feeling more in love with and connected to my husband, new opportunities to ministry and fellowship.  In summary, it’s been about reshaping my life to approach all things for His glory and my good.  A renovation of my time, resources, relationships, recreation, and roles in life. 



What I am I looking forward to? I’ve been sensing God whisper to me in Zechariah 4:10 For who has despised the day of small things.  I have.  I’m such global thinking girl!  I live for the intense moments of action where big things happen.  But those big things are built in many days of little things.  That is what I need to embrace.  Not to resent and be bitter during a time of building or tearing down.  For there is time for all those in the seasons of life God has given us (Ecc 3:3). 



What I am looking forward to is a new ministry opportunity to teach a Bible Study to the women of my church. I know He has called me, so I need to step out in faith and be ready with a tender heart for the women He has prepared to open up His word to through me.  He has partnered me with a wise and wonderful woman (I’m very alliterate today!) and is guiding us to follow Him down this road. I will finish up my current series on Proverbs, but want to be ready to dedicate my time to do this task well, as a teacher God will hold me accountable to do the best with what He has given.   I will still keep the blog up but may use it for more devotional writings on my heart after Proverbs, and less frequent postings. 



I’m looking forward to reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan, hearing Matt Chandler’s new series about living with the Spirit, going to LEGOLAND, spending lots of relaxing days in my neighborhood with the most amazing friends in the world, hanging out in Leavenworth this March with the blue crew, having long phone dates with women who inspire me all around this great country that I’m privileged to know, competing in my first duathlon (I’m really going to do it this year), spending time with my nieces, singing my heart out to leave it all empty and fresh,  not let one ball get past me on the soccer field and playing out in the warm spring rain, having grass outside my house and not mud, doing a book study with a good friend as we investigate deeper healing in our lives from spiritual scars that still sting, taking beautiful pictures of the amazing people God sends my way, deep meaningful discussions with my book friends, spending lots of time growing more in love with my husband and more patient with my children, being a more seasoned and creative teacher of first graders, getting a dog!  Wow this is gonna be a great year!



I encourage you to spend some time looking at last year from a spiritual perspective.  What has God said to you that you need to remember?  How yah doing with it?  I have such a great song for this one, The Day of Small Things by Alli Rogers.  I couldn’t find it on YouTube to give you a direct link, so look it up on Spotify.  Don’t have Spotify?  You are living in a cave!  Or maybe under a rock, just like those guys on the Geiko commercial. 



May God bless you this year.  May you hear His quiet voice and know it is Him.  May you find courage and joy in all things from His hand.  And don’t despise the day of small things…for they become really BIG things!



-Rayna

Comments

Jaime said…
Rayna - really enjoyed your reflections! I hope your 2012 is filled with communion with our Lord Jesus. Full of joy and love!

Popular Posts