Wisdomfied part 13-Control of Self





Prepare Your Heart: Read Mark 7:14-23.  Pray about the motivations behind your actions.  When circumstances befall you that are frustrating, do you blame it on external sources, or see your own heart’s response and sinful nature as the culprit?



Today we are going to look at some things that trip us up in our faith, issues of self-control.  I’m a very passionate person, and as a result need lot of reminders to slow me down from responding.  Often when I respond too quickly, I get caught up in sin.  My temper is quick and I’m not often patient.  This happens often while parenting.  A lack of patience is a common confession in my prayer life. 



Read Proverbs and take note on what you learn.



Self-Control

·         10:25

·         21:5

·         25:8,28

·         29:11,20



Temper and patience

·         12:16

·         14,16,17,29

·         15:18

·         16:32

·         19:11, 19

·         22:24,25

·         29:8,22



Drunkenness and Gluttony

·         20:1

·         23:19-21,29-35



As you read, which verse spoke to you this week?  For me it was Proverbs 29:11: A fool gives vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.  Recently I got some disappointing news and my first reaction was anger.  There were a lot of things I wanted to say but didn’t, as I knew it wouldn’t help work out the situation.   I’ve often written emails that I didn’t send when I was upset, only to reread it the next day and be grateful that I kept my feelings to myself.  Think of one area where you are tempted to lose your temper and make a plan for how to maintain self-control.  One area I tend to be impatient with is my kids after a long day of work.  One thing that works for me is to spend time with them right when I get home, and then take some time alone to cook dinner and have some space.  This is an example of a situation where I am weak, and how to plan ahead to avoid situations where I am tempted to lose self-control.  I pray that this week the Holy Spirit will guide you in developing this in your character!

Comments

Popular Posts